By Sinkhole - 24/08/2013 15:27 - Guatemala - Guatemala City

Today, like every day for the past 6 months, I got a call from the same telemarketers. I've been ignoring the calls, so now they've started leaving me voicemails. I can't get rid of the annoying voicemail icon on my phone without making a call, so I have to pay to listen to their offers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 143
You deserved it 5 719

Sinkhole tells us more.

Sinkhole 26

So, to answer people's comments: I'm not really going to change numbers, because I've already changed my number like 4 times for unrelated reasons, and I'm tired of changing it. I don't have a contract phone, and blocking numbers through the phone company is more hassle than it's worth, and probably wouldn't work anyway. I have no smartphone, so I can't just get an app. Not gonna take legal action against them because this is not a sue happy country. I have already told them not to call me, many many times (would be stupid not to have tried that already). After six months of two or three calls from them a day, ignoring them is not as easy as it sounds. There is no "do not call" list in my country. The most ridiculous thing is that they're trying to sell me some English courses, and I've told them I don't even need them, but of course, they just want to sell. I'll have to muster up the courage to pick up the phone and play loud and freaky **** for them in the background until they decide I'm a deranged individual who shouldn't be messed with.

Top comments

You can take legal action against them.

Garnetshaddow 30

I play with the illegal telemarketers all the time. To start, start light. Hit on the opposite gender. Blow a whistle in to the phone. Ask them to hold on for a moment and see how long it takes for them to hang up. Once you're good at those, start trying to convert them to alternative religions, sing annoying songs (I like "The song that never ends" from Lamb Chop's Play Along), pretend to be a small child, Chant "no" in varying tone and length until they hang up, mimic back everything they say.... When you're really good start pretending they've called a hotline. My personal favorites are the National Organization of Satanists looking for a virgin for a blood orgy... and a hookup hotline for registered sex offenders. I used to get 5 or 6 calls a day from "Cardholder Services." Now I only get two a week or so. I'm on the crazy list.

Comments

"Jim's ***** house, you got the dough, we got the ho." Trust me, answer the phone that way, and they'll learn pretty damn quick not to call you.

Oh, that, and act out a crime."yeah, just gimme a sec. Hey man, what's go- OH MY GOD, HES GOT A GUN!" Then proceed to slam a door really hard next to the mic a few times. Wait a couple seconds, then hang up. If you really wanna sell it, say "oh shit, he was on the phone" as you hang it up.

I'm on the do not call list, but rarely I'll get a solicitation. If I don't recognize the number, I'll usually say "city morgue, you kill 'em, we chill 'em." and it scares them enough not to call back.

I normally press 'talk' and then immediately 'end call'

I have found many solutions that work being experienced myself when the answer say no habla ingles (i don't speak English) if they start speaking Spanish say I don't speak Spanish they'll usually hang up. Sometimes just answer thier first few questions ask them about something then leave the phone sitting until they hang up. If its a credit company or loans company tell them thanks for calling you can really help me I haven't been doing so good on my payments then tell them you've maxed out a few credit cards and make up a random number very high for how much debt you're In

They're cold calling you. If you tell them once to stop and they keep going you can sue for harassment.

Ask them to remove their number from your calling list. If you are British I suggest reporting them to watchdog to see if other people have similar complaints.

theryla 1

If you have not said the words "take me off your list" they probably have to keep calling you. I've worked for a telemarketing company and those are the magic words. You might as well try it, what have you got to lose?

fatalwish 6

take a gander at henry rollins explanation on telemarketers.... they dont call back afterwards

waste thier time and money. when they ring, just say, one moment please, then put the phone down. dont hang up. go get a coffee, work, cut the grass, what ever. they have to pay to make calls, so make them pay for no return. NEVER engage in ANY conversation. That's really important. just "one moment please" and ignore the phone. It may take a while. But it will work.