By Anonymous - 31/03/2015 03:52 - Netherlands - Utrecht

Today, it was my first day working as a dental assistant, leaving me in charge of all cleaning. The first patient was so scared, he peed his pants. Which might have been understandable if he hadn't been a fully grown man. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 485
You deserved it 2 471

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Going to the dentist is terrifying. Next time hand him a couple of stickers, a lollipop, and a diaper.

Poor guy, that sounds terribly embarrassing!

Comments

I'm waiting for the patient's FML now....

Steffi3 40

Hey guys, this is OP I know being afraid of the dentist doesn’t change with age, but the embarrassment and amount of urine to clean up definitely do. This happened somewhere last summer when I replaced my mom during the holidays, so I don’t have any dental-training or whatsoever. However, since I only cleaned the instruments, answered the phone and made coffee, I didn’t expect to deal with anything else anyways. His appointment was to have a couple of cavities filled, but he hadn’t really taken care of his teeth since the appointment had been made, as he had to have another one filled as well. That was one too much, apparently. I felt really bad for him, but the dentists were nice and understanding. Since I only was there for a summer, I’m not sure he’s ever come back. As a side note, a couple of weeks later there actually was a guy who shat his pants. The other assistants said they never had to clean up any form of excrements, so I guess I’m just lucky?

Nothing quite like being the new guy and having to deal with a full on biohazard first thing... And those chairs would be a total nightmare to clean. So many nooks and crannies and mechanical bits. I hope whoever's in charge of the office paid you super well.

I've had my lip badly burnt, and cut by a drill, a dental surgeon dig around looking for a tooth that was not there because he had the X-ray back to front and a root canal done on the wrong tooth. I'm terrified of dentists, not to the point where I have peed my pants, but I do cry and get very upset. It may seem 'irrational' but it's a very real fear to me. An adult has more to fear from a dentist sometimes than a child. A few bad experiences, your adrenaline gets going and local anaesthetic does not work as well, even with valium and nitrous oxide. I hope your empathy improves OP because I would like someone to hold my hand when I am scared, not complain that you had to clean up the chair, even if it's an adult.

Sounds like my next visit. I haven't been in seven years and probably have cavities and impacted wisdom teeth.

sometimes the dentist can be scary AF but I am 15 so... yehh

I am almost 32. I now get panic attacks like crazy when I step into a dentist's office. This is rather recent, I have no idea why, but the poor guy is probably really embarrassed :/

Most People are extremely scared of going to the dentist. I feel so bad for the man ?

"Which might have been understandable if he hadn't been a fully grown man" – because of that statement, YDI. Fear and anxiety about the dentist are not things that have age limits.