By Anonymous - 17/03/2016 15:34 - United States - Pomona

Today, in court, my client ran his mouth at the judge, cursing him out and then trying to lecture him on "freedom of speech" when he was found in contempt. I don't know what it is with these nutjobs, but I wish I'd never become a public defender. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 195
You deserved it 2 571

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's never too late to switch careers...

He needs to learn when to use his "freedom of speech"

Comments

Look at the bright side you're an attorney and make lots of money.

Public defenders usually don't really make all that much money...

Yeah the median income for attorneys in the US is right above poverty level. It's also a skewed result because of the dudes who make 6 figures practicing law.

Even nut jobs need help. In fact it's the nut jobs that need the most help. Keep up the good work but if your heart really isn't in it maybe try something else.

Not exactly. Sure there are those who are facing a legtimate psychological issue. Then there are people who are just self-entitled assholes. OP'S client sounds like the latter.

Shay_Shay97 23

Well, looks like you'd better call Saul Goodman in on this one. I heard he's really good at defending shitty clients.

If you think that's bad, try defending clients who have been charged with having sex with a severed head .

Is this a reference to something? Because it's incredibly specific.

I don't see what the problem is. Your job as a public defender is to give your client the best defence you can. It's not to get them out of going to jail regardless of whether or not they were guilty. This guy sounds like he deserved jail time and got it. So yay! The system worked. Sure it's annoying to lose but as a public defender your job is to be there for the innocents who caught up in the system. Just do your best and if your client decides to undermine you, well perhaps you weren't meant to get them out of jail time anyway.

Actually, the original purpose of lawyers (both public defenders and private law firms) was to protect the rights of the defendant, not to actually get their client out of jail...

Try practicing at a private firm maybe? You'll get better clients lol

Clyde Shelton: "AND I bet you take it up the ****** ass, bitch!" lol