By nixwolfwood - 19/12/2016 21:14

Today, I woke up to a fog. Literally. A pipe burst in my apartment and scalding water was everywhere. To make matters worse, when I called maintenance he told me he'd come by later, hung up on me, and turned his phone off. He did eventually show up, but it was 5 hours later, well after I'd paid a plumber $200. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 483
You deserved it 520

Same thing different taste

Top comments

report that to the building manager, that can't go unnoticed OP

sgdigaetano 3

Absolutely deduct it from the next months rent and include a copy of the plumbers bill and explanation as to why it was necessary to call the plumber when maintenance wouldn't respond.

Comments

They should cover the plumbing costs!!! Sorry op. :/

report that to the building manager, that can't go unnoticed OP

It's understandable that he'd need some time to collect himself after his plan to expose you as a robot failed.

Wait... she must have gotten her water immunity from being a cyborg! How will we figure this out now... damn cyborgs...

Call the apartment managers and report its. They HAVE to pay for it since it's THEIR maintenance problem.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

Inform your landlord that the maintenance guy blew off an emergency situation that could have cost thousands of dollars in water damage if you had actually waited 5 hours for him to fix it. And that if they don't reimburse you before the 1st of the month, your next rent payment will be $200 short and include a copy of the plumber's invoice.

lol, that's a good way to get evicted. tenants don't get to.call shots like that. what world do you live in?

Actually legally they do in this case. Any repairs that are essential can and should be deducted from the next months rent if the landlord did not take care of them. And if evicted for this the renter has more rights to either stay or sue the landlord for wrongful eviction. Besides if the landlord actually has laws to follow just to be able to preform an eviction. It would not end up in their favor if they were evicting them for deducting repairs from rent. You should look up the renters rights in your state

#10 explained it perfectly. And just for a little context, I used to work for a property management company. Most landlords actually prefer repaying tenant repair costs by taking it off the next month's rent. It makes bookkeeping simpler.

lee47_fml 6

Had somewhat similar occurrence years ago. Bathroom sink came off wall. ( I always made it a point to know where water shutoff is to any place I lived in. ) I turned off water and called maintenance. He informed me that it was Friday July 3 and he would be there Monday morning and hung up. I called courthouse to see who paid taxes on building, looked up owners name and called their private house. Left message and how expensive it could be with teenager, asking him to call his dad. 20 minutes later a very mad maintenance man stormed up. I had him cap the pipe to sink so he could repair it Monday.. Never had problem again.

tounces7 27

Everyone should know where their main water shutoff is. It's just like your electrical panel, you NEED to be able to locate it in an emergency. That would have at least stopped more water from coming out - even a Plumber usually takes some time to show up.

That's what you get for setting the water heater temperature too high. The pipes get eaten through. Water temperature must be set at 120 F, not higher. Also for safety reasons.

I doubt that the OP set his own hot water heater since it seems like he didn't know how to turn the water off

sgdigaetano 3

Absolutely deduct it from the next months rent and include a copy of the plumbers bill and explanation as to why it was necessary to call the plumber when maintenance wouldn't respond.

Yeah but also inform the landlord you are doing this as soon as you can as well.