By farrahfarrest_ - 02/07/2009 19:49 - United States

Today, I went to the doctor. I told her I felt down all the time. She asked me a few questions and she told me I was depressed. She suggested to go home and find the sources of my depression. When I told my parents, they started laughing and said "Yeah, right." I think I found my source. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 673
You deserved it 3 827

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ghost_light 0

To those who are falsely equating depression with being emo: **** you. Despression is a legitimate illness that can be as debilitating and painful as any other, and you should hope that you never find yourself drowning in it. It is NOT simply a "state of mind" and cannot be alleviated just by merely wishing it away; for many it takes years of therapy and sometimes medication to finally get out of it. Seriously--cut the ignorance and pick up a book.

hellobananas 0

Sometimes parents think it's "just a phase" and that the kid'll get over it. That doesn't mean they should laugh though. If you said the doctor told you you were depressed, then FML. If you just left that part out, then it's more of a YDI. Either way, sorry bout that. Being depressed sucks, and if your rental units don't even know or care... I've been there.

Comments

hellobananas 0

Emo is such an overrated stereotype. And looking at the glass any way than other the glass for what it is, a glass with something in it, is idiotic as both optimism and pessimism have their downfalls. Supposed to be a reply to #26, this messed up...

speak_a_da_truth 0

Parents can be that way. Especially their generation, well at least mine, they didn't really go and see psycologists and things of that sort, so their mentality is more like suck it up and deal with it. Then again they went through the 70's and early 80's where drugs were a little heavy to cure everything if you know what I mean. Don't take it to much to heart your parents probably used to get more physical abuse from your grandparents, and you, because of the day and age, get verbal abuse. Learn to take it in stride I know it sucks but what are you gonna do? If it bothers you to much move out some parents are really awful. These are just assumptions based on what you tell us do what's best for you.

you're exactly right--my mom told me she went through exactly what I'm going through at my age (textbook case of depression) but that it's "just something young adults do." her family had the "suck it up" philosophy so she's imparted the same lack of sympathy/understanding that was instilled in her. the difference is, she's worked on a psych ward so she has no right to pretend mental health issues don't exist, and that's exactly why I'm getting far far away as soon as I'm done with school.

elfuzzo 0

Go hang out in the graveyard and write poetry about how black your soul is.

americayay 0

Odds are, they have a stigma against depression and don't want to think that there's really something wrong with you, because they might feel like it's their fault. I was on antidepressants at 13 and I wouldn't recommend them before 18 anyway, in which case if you ARE that old, you can get on them yourself and screw your parents. Otherwise, counseling might be the better choice.

Emo doesn't equal hanging around in the graveyard and writing poetry about how black your soul is.

Only to ignorant assholes like yourself.

lastminuteperm 0

Not an FML. You found the source or your "medical condition". Why is that bad? Your parents may be in denial or may not believe that depression is really a sickness.

That's exactly what my parents would do. I guess it's just some people's natural reaction to think it was a (bad) joke when they get bad news

seb12992 0

How is this not an FML? He's going through depression and his parents were insensitive about it. You're a ******* idiot if you don't think this is an FML.

themixedt4pe 0

Good for you going to a doctor. I never did, but I always knew my parents were a big part of the problem. If they're not willing to help you, and really are the problem, then I suggest moving out ASAP. That made all the difference for me. Two days after I moved out I felt like a totally new person. =)

ghost_light 0

To those who are falsely equating depression with being emo: **** you. Despression is a legitimate illness that can be as debilitating and painful as any other, and you should hope that you never find yourself drowning in it. It is NOT simply a "state of mind" and cannot be alleviated just by merely wishing it away; for many it takes years of therapy and sometimes medication to finally get out of it. Seriously--cut the ignorance and pick up a book.

mylifesucks97 0

Awww sweetheart! That must suck! I'm sorry I will be praying for you and your family.