By anonymous - 18/03/2011 07:35

Today, I went to the airport to start the amazing 3 week vacation in Costa Rica that I've been saving for and planning for more than a year. They wouldn't let me on the plane because my passport expires in less than 6 months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 222
You deserved it 13 862

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeap. it's true. It's ridiculous but true your passport can't be within 6 months of expiring. Real ****** up!!

FYLDeep 25

Why the hell does that matter? I could see if it expired 6 months ago, but what the hell?

Comments

wtf?? it is still good! they cant do that, hope you fought them

I know someone that went through a couple countries, with NO passport....(yes they flew on an airline)....

There's only a very few circumstances where that would be possible these days. Even the US doesn't allow it the way they used to anymore.

uh, happened to me once. they just told me they would book me in another flight as they give you the whole morning to go to the passport place where they will make you a passport in one day. sorry about that! I know how you feel but they should have told you what you could have done to go asap.

That would be part of the planning process, no?

FajitaFreak 3

It expires in 6 months. That mean it is still valid for those 6 months. The **** ?

you've been planning for a year? you had a year to think about that. ydi.

haeckels_embryos 0

So a passport does expire 6 months before it expires, then? How very interesting. [/sarcasm] Anyway, even if it came to a point that the OP had to stay 6 months longer (which chances are, it wouldn't), s/he can always go to the closest US Embassy and get a new one. Embassies, that's what they're there for.

obviously haven't travelled before... ammature

#54, what the hell? Do you realize how VERY low the chances are something would happen to keep OP there for 6 months or longer? By your logic, no one should be allowed to leave their own house because god forbid they might break their leg or something and not be able to get back inside. Idiot. Think before you post.

the 6 month expiery is due to the visa length. once your passport is stamped on entry the visa is valid for 6 months. The country you are visiting will deny entry because your passport will not be valid for the length of your visa.