By alealovespurple - 16/08/2009 20:04 - Canada

Today, I went through my 15 year old daughter's internet history. On google she searched 'Excuses to get away from your dad' and 5 other variations of the same thing. We were supposed to be having a father daughter day tomorrow. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 851
You deserved it 17 221

Same thing different taste

Top comments

YDI for snooping. Give her some space -- she's growing up. ...On the other hand, though, FYL because of what you found.

More like FHL for having you snoop through her history. I bet you've got plenty of stuff you wouldn't want her to see.

Comments

YDI for giving no freedom to your daughter. If you can't handle the truth, don't go looking for it.

I'm sorry, but "no freedom"?! How can you assume that this guy is giving his daughter "no freedom" after reading just 50 words on the Internet?? You know nothing about the rules the guy sets in his household, and you have no solid facts that could prove that the guy's daughter has "no freedom."

curryndricegirll 0

don't start with the whole 50 words. the whole POINT of this website is to judge people within 50 words. so, if that's what she/he got out of it, that's what he/she go out of it.

FYL because even though I am a young adult who wants my personal space, I can also understand why a parent would want to spend some one-on-one time with their children. Trying to maintain or repair your relationship doesn't make you a bad father. If my mom had ever tried that growing up, maybe we'd be closer than we are today. Snooping though is not very wise... even though you're probably the one who bought the computer for her. I get the feeling she's a spoiled brat, so FYL even more.

Aw. Now, I know sometimes I rather not go somewhere with my parents, but damn... what a brat, sorry to say man. I know she's fifteen and all, but obviously you must not get to spend a lot of time together if you wanted to have a father-daughter day.

Try doing something FUN for the two of you. Don't do anything creepy, though. Something both of you like.

don't listen to these other people. you should be looking at your kids history on the internet, yes their should be trust but since there is trust what's the harm of looking at their recent visits online if you won't find anything? Maybe that's why so many kids today are brats, having sex, and acting like they're 21 they expect too much privacy when they are just kids. Her looking for ways to avoid her dad doesn't mean that he's overbearing. Most kids at 15 think it's uncool to hang out with their parents anyway.

Haha, glad you're not my parent. If my parents insisted on looking at my internet history when I was a teen I'd have put myself up for adoption to a less nosy family. If you trust your teen to not be doing anything dangerous, leave their internet history well alone. I think routinely checking up on exactly what your kid does online while they aren't looking is not unlike putting a microphone in their backpack when they go to school, having CCTV in their bedroom, and interrogating their friends about their activities. If they want to share things, they will. Don't force your snooping upon them.

pltcllyincorrect 0

You are the kind of teenager that puts teenagers to shame. You think you're "speaking out" and "being cool" by hating on your parents. He wasn't "forcing his snooping." At the age of 15, your parents SHOULD be checking your internet history. It's NOTHING like recording your activities 24/7. Not at all. Briefly searching through your history now and then will NOT kill you. If your activities on the internet are so bad that you wouldn't want your parents seeing them, that's sad. (Besides, Facebook has a password, so he can't look at 90% of your internet searches anyway, so what else are you looking at that is so private?) I'm sorry if your parents are so lax. And put yourself up for adoption? Microphone? OH PLEASE. You're just another overly dramatic teen. *Sigh* And for the record, I'm a teen too.

Actually, I think the poster above you went to all stops and still didn't make a situation bad enough where I'd let my parents look at my internet history. I don't care who's interrogating my friends or who is in my room, given that they ******* leave when I'm online and don't search my history. (I don't have a facebook, almost every site or vid I've ever looked at could be seen without a password and I still don't want anyone to know which ones I've went to). Yes, that ass is overly dramatic, but if you gave me the option between a microphone in my bookbag and my parents searching my internet history, I'd probably take the microphone, although either way the way I spend my free time will be changed dramatically

#22 Even if I'm not getting in trouble for it, I'd rather not have my parents see everything I do or read on the internet. I don't think many people want their parents knowing there : creepy fetishes or stance on abortion . Both things I've said on FML at one point or another (or, I think..I know I've said my creepiest fetish and stance on abortion a lot on the internet, not sure about here)

Wait wait wait I can understand the fetish, but why your abortion stance? Who cares? Or are your parents psycho whackos about their views of abortion?

My views...border on the extreme. I'm the only person I've met online who sees absolutely no problem with abortion being used as a form of birth control if it's early, or the only form of birth control you take even. The only view I have on it that's not extreme is the deadline (I'd rather keep it at only the first trimester, but I'd allow the second or atleast some ways to get it done on the second, like if you looked earlier) I don't even know what stance my dad has on abortion, but I can't imagine that going over well.

YDI for going through her computer history. if she finds out shes not going to be happy. im 14.

I think you could have saved sooo many flames on here if you'd said "I was ont he family computer and when typing something in Google, the recent searches showed "How to get out of spending the day with your Dad" or whatever. FYL all the same though.