By Sammijane58 - 31/07/2019 14:00

Today, I watched my best friend get married. I then watched her completely ignore my maid of honor speech, because she was messing with the lights behind us. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 582
You deserved it 233

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Does she have ADHD, or was she genuinely not interested?

Maid of Honor is essentially the "head" bridesmaid. It's typically someone very close to the bride. They help carry some of the burden of the wedding by planning the bridal showers and bachelorette parties, as well as helping with other things involving the wedding. My MoH paid for the hair and makeup of myself and the bridesmaids, and she splurged for a massage day of. She also stayed after the wedding was over to help clean up. It's also traditional for the Maid of Honor to give a speech, which is what OP was doing when the bride wasn't paying attention.

Comments

Does she have ADHD, or was she genuinely not interested?

Sammijane58 9

She genuinely just ignored me. Like I wasn’t speaking at all

Methods to get her attention: Hand on her shoulder, arm around her waist, maintaining eye contact. She sounds like she was pretty distracted. Should have tried un-distracting her.

How was she with you in the run up to the wedding? From the moment she asked you to be her MoH, up to the last few minutes before the ceremony.

Are you trying to get OP to get the bride's attention, or to dance with her? I don't know how many weddings you've been to, but the MoH and BM (laugh it up, fuzzballs) usually stand to give their speeches, while the rest of the party, including the newly-married couple, remain seated. And some don't even sit right next to the couple, as they're usually flanked by their parents, if they're still alive. So what you're suggesting is OP, upon realizing her best friend wasn't paying attention to her speech, walk behind her, place one hand on her shoulder, the other around her waist, and hunch over the bride while continuing to give the speech. What if OP was addressing the party with the aid of a microphone? How is she going to hold it while uncomfortably wrapping herself around the bride? And even if she wasn't using a mic, she'd be speaking loud enough for everyone to hear right beside her friend's ear. OP said she wasn't distracted, just ignoring the speech, and that makes the bride a rude little bitch.

Sammijane58 9

I was holding her hand the entire speech. I even started crying a little at one point & she started talking to her husband & brother

A light show is often more entertaining than some boring, predictable speech.

I'm sorry but I am a bit lost: HER wedding but YOUR maid of honor ? Is this normal or did I misunderstand it ? 'English is not my mother language sorry)

Maid of Honor is essentially the "head" bridesmaid. It's typically someone very close to the bride. They help carry some of the burden of the wedding by planning the bridal showers and bachelorette parties, as well as helping with other things involving the wedding. My MoH paid for the hair and makeup of myself and the bridesmaids, and she splurged for a massage day of. She also stayed after the wedding was over to help clean up. It's also traditional for the Maid of Honor to give a speech, which is what OP was doing when the bride wasn't paying attention.

what nature girl said but basically she was giving a speech and was ignored

Thanks for your answer :) So it's technically the bride's maid of honor and not OP's maid of honor who made the speech right ? Since it is the friend who is getting married ? Or did the two have the same maid of honor ?

OP is the bride's maid of honor, but the bride missed OP's speech.

OP was the Maid of Honor, Bride was the rude dude playing with the lights. OP did not have a Maid of Honor as well, as it isn't something that happens at weddings. Basically, OP is the female equivalent of the Groom's Best Man, but with a cooler title.

Nevermind I am an idiot... I kept reading 'my maid of honor'S speech' I don't kno why... So in my mind there were 3 persons: the bride, OP OP's maid of honor who was giving a speech... Thanks for your patience.

Too bad there wasn’t an electrician available to fix the lights — he had Mysterious Man Flu.