By Anonymous - 14/08/2019 14:00

Today, I was sitting in my room when my dad came in to ask if I wanted the rest of his cake. I'd made it for my cousin's wedding, and spent 2 days preparing it. The wedding is tomorrow. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 179
You deserved it 146

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Look, that REALLY sucks, but you REALLY also should have made provisions that it wouldn't be touched by anyone else. Signs, Covered and out of sight. In a box. ANYTHING. Something for an event like that, you MAKE SURE!

Ambrily 27

I have a feeling that you don't really know how cakes are made, especially cakes for big events like a marriage is.

Comments

Look, that REALLY sucks, but you REALLY also should have made provisions that it wouldn't be touched by anyone else. Signs, Covered and out of sight. In a box. ANYTHING. Something for an event like that, you MAKE SURE!

zeffra13 31

Who's to say OP didn't and the dad just ignored everything? I've had that happen. Also how would the dad not be aware of the purpose of this cake his child spent 2 days making in his house, especially since it's a family wedding? Maybe there's family drama involved.

I don't really think there was huge provisions. OP's Dad most likely works all day and comes home and see's a cake in the fridge. He probably doesn't see her working on it. OP could have also said "After making the cake and Hiding/Covering/having signs, my dad came in eating it." There was no mention of a sign, because that would have also been a huge addition to the story. There's a couple of ways this played out, but having it covered, signs, out of sight, would have had a much higher rate of this not happening at all, and to me I think OP assumed no one would touch it. Editing: Also, wedding cake making is done in stages, first day was probably all the icing/fondant prepping, and second day was the baking/creation. perfectly possible dad had no ******* clue!

You are right, everyone should make sure to give plenty of explanations in their submissions based on whatever random scenarios you make up in your head. Not like there is a super short character limit or anything.

1) you dont' store cakes in the fridge 2) a wedding cake is pretty freaking obviously FOR something 3) the dad not only helped himself to an unsliced cake but was also giving away the rest of it. If someone thinks it's okay to take food, eat what they want and get rid of the rest of it, no sign is going to help. 4 what kind of almighty asshole sees a complete, decorated cake and decides "eh, I'm just going to eat this myself." We're not talking a slice of yellow cake with frosting here. It's a complete, total wedding cake. Do you think it's normal to see a birthday cake on a kitchen counter and just go "hmm, I don't know what this cake is for or who made it, this complete and decorated cake. I'll just assume someone made it for NO REASON WHATSOEVER and help myself to as much of it as I want to eat and GET RID OF THE REST. On thanksgiving, do you think you have to put a sign up that says "this turkey is for thanksgiving dinner, do not cut a leg off and give the rest to the dog'

At this point, you kind of have to eat it to hide the evidence. Tell your cousin you dropped the cake. And don’t sign up to be an amateur baker while you’re so slow and inefficient at it.

Ambrily 27

I have a feeling that you don't really know how cakes are made, especially cakes for big events like a marriage is.

zeffra13 31

A lot of the fancy edible decorations made for wedding cakes have to be prepped Day 1, dried overnight, then assembled onto the cake Day 2.

Wedding cakes take a minimum of two days to make usually. As above said about decorations and then also assembling the cake as you need to make sure the cakes are cold so you don’t melt the icing plus most wedding cakes are topped with Fondant which is a bitch to work with.

Sonotsuave 35

That sucks but also it’s not very hard or time consuming to tell other people in the household not to touch a cake. Give out multiple warnings, put a sign on it, whatever. If he still touched it anyway then FYL.

It's also not hard to see a whole, complete, decorated cake and think "hmm...i wonder if this is FOR something. I should ask if I can have some" WTF kind of asshole sees an untouched, decorated dessert and just takes what he wants and disposes of the rest? A decorated cake is obviously for something. A bake sale a birthday, a wedding, the neighbor, a special dinnere, SOMETHING. NObody random makes huge, decorated cakes to just set out for anyone to help themselves. If you have to warn people not to eat the wedding cake you spent 2 days in that same house preparing, you are living with hyenas.