By Anonymous - 24/11/2012 13:59 - United States

Today, I was playing with my four year-old cousin. He had a toy whale and said, "Shark!" I corrected him and told him it was a whale. He picked it up, threw it at my face, and yelled, "SHAAARK!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 467
You deserved it 7 853

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Hiimhaileypotter 52

Just chase him with it and pretend it's a shark that wants to eat him. Then grab him and tickle him mercilessly. I'm sure after that he'd wish he'd said it was a whale.

watermelon1 35

At least he didn't call you a whale, and then throw the toy at you.

Comments

Whale you were playing with him, did you think that maybe he was just toying with you?

I think you are just a-spout right. He is definitely a shark of a child though.That is all I have for now. Fin.

Whale you could've been a bit more pacific.. I would throw the 'shark' back in his face, just for the halibut

85- you can never be pacific enough.. Unless your Atlantic of course ;)

I hope you told his mother. If my kid did that to someone, I'd smack him and say, "If you're gonna hit somebody, you better be ready to get hit back!" You're never too young to learn the ways of the world.

Or you could explain to the kid that it's not okay to hit people or throw things at them or otherwise hurt them, and that the game is over and the kid must go to his room and stay there for a while and think about why not to throw toys. Or, y'know, something similarly less violent. Otherwise, you're teaching the kid that violence to those who can't hurt you back is a fine thing. Which is a pretty terrible lesson.

I never said I'd beat the kid. Just a little smack to teach him a lesson about how it's wrong to be violent towards people who you know are too chivalrous to retaliate. My parents used to spank me, even when I misbehaved in non violent ways, and you'll never meet a more passive and gentle person than me. But if you prefer alternative methods of disciplining your children than that's up to you and I respect that.

desireev 17

Gracehi- I totally understand what you're saying. My 3-year-old is the most respectful, mannered, disciplined, happiest child you've ever met. And I am raising him just the same as my parents raised me. He's only hit me twice in my face, but I immediately came back with a little smack and said "You don't like to be hit. So don't hit other people. It's not funny or fair to anybody. So do not hit people!". And now, thankfully, I don't have one of the Walmart monkey brats. He is the nicest child you'll ever meet. If you send a child to their room, you're just giving them time to play and think about how to not get in trouble the next time. Instead of being passive, just handle it. That's my motto, anyway.

Yeah, sometimes it's just the only way to get the message across. My little brother went through a biting phase, until one day he bit me on the cheek, drawing blood. My mom bit his finger to show him how much it hurts to get bitten. She didn't draw blood or even leave a mark, but she clearly did make an impression, because after that he never bit anyone again.

Some people really are too passive with their kids, but I'm not certain that replicating such things is good. On an unrelated topic, Daryl is sexy. That is all.

In my personal experiences, a combination is also an adequate method of parenting. When I was little, if I hit anyone I got a spanking. If I took something that wasn't mine my mom would take all toys and coloring supplies out of my room, then have me stay in my room. She would wait until I stopped throwing a tantrum and would then enter my room and talk to me. I grew up with those as consequences for my negative actions. I don't steal from other people, I am polite, calm and reasonable. When someone else is getting beaten on, I put myself in between them and force the fight to break up. I then have both parties sit and talk it out. I enjoy listening to other people's opinions and learning from them. I prefer non-violent options and always try to calm people down so they can communicate their feelings. I have learned through listening to others that spankings and the like are not bad ways of parenting, and talking is not a bad method either. Through the information I have gathered over the years, I have learned that it is the proper implementation that matters. If you choose spanking, you don't beat the kid until they are black and blue, but give them a hit that doesn't damage yet allows the kid to understand that pain isn't fun and that you shouldn't purposely do that to others. Talking works, but only if you do it properly. If your kid is behaving terribly, you don't just stand there and continuously say "Stop it". When using your voice to discipline you have to remember to sound angry, or else the kid will continue. Negative emotional responses are the punishment in the cases of verbal discipline, or else there is no definite consequences for the child's actions. That's my take on this.

rhidiculous 4

How about whale shark? That's a nice compromise!

whale sharks don't look like a whale or shark... but hey at least the names are mixed :D

LiterOfCola 16

How do whale sharks not look like whales or sharks?

... That look like, and are as big as, whales

It's ok OP, at the end of the day you can give the child back to its parents!

tsent8 15

That's when you respond with GET TO THE LIFE BOATS WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST!! And fall on the ground and pretend to die.

perdix 29

You're lucky it's not a half-dead real shark!

Mindwarp 4

Well bloody hell, im sure people will be sharking for puns sooner or later.