By boohoo - 04/06/2012 12:45 - Netherlands - Amstelveen

Today, I was on a date with a very intelligent and handsome guy. I was so nervous that when he was telling me about his twin sister, I asked him if they were identical twins. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 566
You deserved it 21 024

Same thing different taste

Top comments

_ebbonyy 11

Awkward.. but if the 'intelligent and handome' guy doesn't have a good enough sense of humour to not hold it against you, then you're probably better off without him :-)

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I would probably do that too, honestly. He probably thought it was cute! If not...AVADA KEDAVRA!

Comments

MarisaCB 16

Just laugh, say you were kidding or that you just made a mistake. If he doesn't have a sense of humor he's not worth it anyway!

pfclunchbox005 1

Identical twins can actually be male and female, it's rare though.

weasel123 9

Well, at least you used correct terminology. People ask my twin sister and me if we are "maternal" or "paternal", or various other stupid things. One time, someone even asked us if we are "nocturnal". It is quite annoying.

Matty1188 6

You could be nocturnal. Or maybe one of you is and the other isn't.

For the most part everyone knows fraternal is guy and girl and identical is same sex and look the same.

Lludes 5

That's not entirely true. Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are fraternal twins. Fraternal twins is two eggs fertilized at the same time with two separate sperm. Not all fraternal twins are one boy and one girl. Identical yes will always be the same sex.

Pallywhack 4

Fraternal could also easily be same-sex... My best friend has a fraternal twin brother, and neither of them look any more alike than any other two siblings.

weasel123 9

White16sox- It's a common misconception. I'm a girl, and my twin sister and I a fraternal. Identical twins are formed when one egg is fertilized and splits into two parts. Fraternal twins are formed when the mother releases two eggs and they are both fertilized. They may or may not end up being the same gender. The DNA of fraternal twins is only as similar the DNA two regular siblings; they just happen to be born at the same time.

weasel123 9

*the DNA of fraternal twins is only as similar as the DNA of two regular siblings* Sorry, didn't get it edited it in time.

Mary Kate and Ashley are identical. Just so you know. They would constantly switch them out when they starred on Full House because no one could tell them apart.

I swear I meant to put usually before guy.

nightowl713 25

@ 115Mary-Kate and Ashley are in fact NOT identical twins. While they do look a lot alike, one is actually much taller than the other. To be considered identical they have to be the same in every way possible. Google it:)

Llamacod 11

125, that's not true, the is varying percentages of "identical"ness some identical twins are more identical than others... google it

I'm a fraternal twin. We look nothing alike. He i gay and I'm straight.

Goldd3000 1

i don't see the fml here. identical or fraternal are both completely possible with brother and sister.

saranottelling 7

Did he say yes, and tell you about how he chose his new name after the surgery?

I'm with 1: you could easily laugh that off, and just relax next time!

I'm sure he was just as nervous. Being nervous and slipping up is just part of dating. Sorry OP.

uhnevermind 24

To be fair, it is an extremely common mistake to think that twins of a different gender can be identical twins. I hope things worked out, OP.

wildsweetchild 19

Laugh it off and explain the mistake, I'm sure he'll understand.