By CaitiieBuggs - 13/01/2013 07:22 - United States - Portland

Today, I was making wedding plans with my fiancé. His mother kept complaining about everything, and insisted it was pointless to plan because it's just our "first marriage." She then tried to convince him to dump me and move back in with her because "she's all he'll ever need." FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 241
You deserved it 2 530

CaitiieBuggs tells us more.

CaitiieBuggs 23

Op here to give a year later update: After my husband confronted her about the comments she tried to backtrack and do that whole "you misunderstood what I was saying" thing, although she said it pretty damn directly, like word for word. Wedding happened without anymore major problems from her, hubby's sister on the other hand is a different story. Mother in law has tried to convince us to move in with her a few times since, but we've kindly declined each time, but she'll bring it up every so often. She has the idea we're only together because I'm pregnant (which I'm not, but with her logic this is year 5 of my pregnancy) and my husband has called her out on that too, so for all of those wondering, he does defend and stand up for me, even if it takes a little push from my end:)I picked a good one. Hope that answers any questions people had:)

Top comments

What kind of mother doesn't want her own son to pursue and anchieve all of his dreams and goals in life?

Looks to me like she's a couple decades late cutting the umbilical cord.

Comments

What kind of mother doesn't want her own son to pursue and anchieve all of his dreams and goals in life?

That's what I thought of when I read this FML, too.

WhisperSoflty 20

The kind of mother who has convinced herself that she's the BEST MOTHER EVER and that no woman can provide the same kind of love and support that she does. We also call them crazy.

Elope, you'll save money and avoid the pedo-b**ch

Probably one that never got to achieve any of hers.

shan88 14

I hope he stood up to her and defended you OP. I hope you have an amazing wedding and blissful marriage :)

Does she expect more than 1 marriage?

OhDearBetrayal 25

17- No, she's just trying to demean theirs by saying that marriage is hardly anything to excite over, implying that its meaningless and brief.

Uh, wouldn't you want to go all out on your first marriage. Your mother-in-law is an idiot. FYL

Not just full out on their first marriage, hopefully it's their ONLY marriage

She's a cynic, not an idiot. However she still needs to mind her own business.

jessughka 10

47- I got distracted by your profile. How full of yourself you are, it's one of the worst ones I've seen in a while.

77 - No one asked about my profile. There's no reason to bring it up. I wrote that years ago and not all of it is entirely accurate now. Does it really matter? The point I'm trying to make here is that the mother believes marriages fail so the son shouldn't even prepare for anything but a failed marriage. Would you like to add more irrelevancies to the conversation?

78 maybe change it then while it's on your mind...

90 - It's not exactly top priority. I'm not on here often. Why does it matter so much to you anyway? Lol, you guys are freaking out over some little thing while my original comment was neither conceited nor arrogant. She just wanted to start something.

You said it perfectly. My mother in law has said something uncomfortably close to what OPs has.

Hopefully this isn't the same guy who wanted to move closer to his mom a while back.. You may be in trouble

WolfAtTheDoor 7

If I were you, I wouldn't discuss anything even remotely related to marriage or wedding plans when you're around her. That's just on the brink of being creepy.

WhisperSoflty 20

On the brink?! I'm fairly certain that her last comment about being all her son will ever need soared wayyy beyond the brink of creepy and landed right in the middle if Looneyville.

I hope for your sake that your fiancé is sticking up for you and telling his Mother to shut up otherwise your marriage is going to be hell!

Agreed. Get married, then move across the country and change phone numbers.

CaitiieBuggs 23

Op here to give a year later update: After my husband confronted her about the comments she tried to backtrack and do that whole "you misunderstood what I was saying" thing, although she said it pretty damn directly, like word for word. Wedding happened without anymore major problems from her, hubby's sister on the other hand is a different story. Mother in law has tried to convince us to move in with her a few times since, but we've kindly declined each time, but she'll bring it up every so often. She has the idea we're only together because I'm pregnant (which I'm not, but with her logic this is year 5 of my pregnancy) and my husband has called her out on that too, so for all of those wondering, he does defend and stand up for me, even if it takes a little push from my end:)I picked a good one. Hope that answers any questions people had:)

It sounds like she doesn't want to lose her "baby". Ignore her and enjoy your special day. Congrats!

Pft didn't you know it's better to have multiple marriages!

So don't involve her in the planning. Shit, I think she'll be lucky to even get an invitation! lol monster in law indeed...