By CaitiieBuggs - 13/01/2013 07:22 - United States - Portland

Today, I was making wedding plans with my fiancé. His mother kept complaining about everything, and insisted it was pointless to plan because it's just our "first marriage." She then tried to convince him to dump me and move back in with her because "she's all he'll ever need." FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 241
You deserved it 2 530

CaitiieBuggs tells us more.

CaitiieBuggs 23

Op here to give a year later update: After my husband confronted her about the comments she tried to backtrack and do that whole "you misunderstood what I was saying" thing, although she said it pretty damn directly, like word for word. Wedding happened without anymore major problems from her, hubby's sister on the other hand is a different story. Mother in law has tried to convince us to move in with her a few times since, but we've kindly declined each time, but she'll bring it up every so often. She has the idea we're only together because I'm pregnant (which I'm not, but with her logic this is year 5 of my pregnancy) and my husband has called her out on that too, so for all of those wondering, he does defend and stand up for me, even if it takes a little push from my end:)I picked a good one. Hope that answers any questions people had:)

Top comments

What kind of mother doesn't want her own son to pursue and anchieve all of his dreams and goals in life?

Looks to me like she's a couple decades late cutting the umbilical cord.

Comments

I'm glad it wasn't just me wondering about that part.

Looks to me like she's a couple decades late cutting the umbilical cord.

Ugh I feel bad for you- remember, when you marry someone, you also marry their family. Sounds like there's going to some more hellish times for you OP. :( move far far away from this bitch-to-be-in-law... If she's trying to break you up now, she's bound to keep doing it and might succeed.

courtneyann211 10

You do not marry their family, you only marry INTO. My mil is just as awful as op's soon to be mil and guess what, we don't see them for that reason.

mama boy... that kinda scary good luck...

im_bored_tired 12

He's saying that her situation is scary, and he is wishing her luck.

Time to have a heart to heart with her and find out why she made the comments. She may be feeling left out of the planning and really just wants to be included. Once you're married you're stuck with her as your mother-in-law so it's better to try and diffuse the crap now and fully know what your in for.

aliyourpally 12

Creepy bitch. She should be respectful and happy that her son is getting married, instead of wanting him to be a little baby for the rest of his life.

Quest_ 13

Oh my goodness, have fun with that.

Well we don't know OP and her fiancée ages are..what if they're really young..either way no man with half a brain would burn a bridge with his mother to make a girlfriend happy...so respectfully speak to her about it and hope she gets over it in time.

twinny_sc 13

I don't know about anybody else but if I'm going to marry a man I would want him to defend me. Tell his mom to respect his decisions and keep the negative comments to her self. This isn't exactly burning a bridge with her in my opinion.

Heavenleigh, you clearly don't know the first thing about marriage and how it works. You don't marry your in-laws, you marry your spouse. And then (at least in the vast majority of instances) you live with that person, not with parents. You're spending the rest of your life with that person, not with parents. Your spouse comes first. Always.

Regardless its never wise to encourage her man to be disrespectful to his mother..the relationship will only go downhill from there. My mil used to be like that in the beginning but I always showed her respect and eventually she started to like me and we now have a great relationship. The op shouldn't let the moms attitude phase her, continue being nice to her and eventually she will get it!

I agree that you should not disrespect the in-law but I also do not think it is disrespectful to confront her. I think op's fiancé should talk to his mother. She shouldn't be complaining and telling her son to break up with op. That is very disrespectful.

#87 There's being disrespectful to one's parents and there's standing up for your fiancee when your parents are being obnoxious. So it is perfectly acceptable for OP's fiance to say that he loves his fiancee, he's going to marry her, and if she can't be gracious about it, she can just stay home. Speaking of which, OP, if your fiance isn't standing up for you, run, run away FAST. You do not want a monster-in-law who can't cut the apron strings.

This is why the divorce rate is like 50%. First marriage? That's such a stupid way to think about it. What happened to "till death do you part"? Now it's more like "till anything that pisses you off happens".