By D - 04/12/2011 07:46 - United States

Today, I was having a rough day and decided to go out for a walk at 1 a.m. to clear my head. I ended up being driven home by two cops, who thought I was prostituting myself at the truck stop. When we arrived, they had a nice conversation with my parents. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 651
You deserved it 5 579

Same thing different taste

Top comments

When the cops asked if you were a prostitute you should have said, " that depends, how much are you willing to pay?"

In these times did you really think "going for a walk at 1am to clear your head" would really turn out well?

Comments

iKickKixy 3

What is up with everyone butchering their words? I could care less about punctuations, and the use of "u" or "r" but #6 "shld = should" #17 "prolly = probably" #19 "suked = sucked" come on it's not that hard, man I hope when December 21st 2012 comes these people are first to be eaten by the zombies for being so lazy. I mean auto correct does most of the work for U!!!

While I agree with you, the expression is "I could NOT care less." If you could care less, then to some extent, no matter how small, you care. If you could NOT care less...well, I think it's self explanatory. I'm sorry, but that really bugs me!

#47- I completely agree! It ******* bugs the hell out of me hearing people say "I could care less" !

UrCapsLockOn 12

C U in 22nd of December 2011 ....

I say prolly all the time :o But yeah, there are a few on this FML.

ikickgingers 15

29 - well you're persistent aren't ya?

Well what were you wearing? Was it something slutty?

every1luvsboners 11

Because everyone strolls through a truck stop at 1 am to "clear their head." If you're galavanting through a truck stop between the hours of 8 pm and 3 am you're either looking for meth or penOs. I'm guessing they were out of meth.

I need to know what is going on in your damn picture +_+

What were you wearing? That could have a big part in it.

bshawndes1 0
nsnforever 2

All I'm wondering is how the OP's parents reacted when their daughter showed up at the front door, escorted by cops, in the middle of the night.

mommapanda 0

OP, I think you deserved what happened. It's not the police's fault, they are just doing their job of maintaining the safety of the public. Seeing as how prostitution is a crime, how can the police take the blame for your poor judgment of taking a walk at such a late hour? I'm all for walking to clear your head, but have a bit more common sense.

Snafuusmc 12
NullPointer 20

Wow, you probably think rape victims deserve it too. She did nothing wrong, and she has the right to go for a walk if she wants to. There is no "you were out late at night in a bad neighbourhood, you deserved it" or anything like that. You should be ashamed. Doesn't anyone believe in freedom anymore?

NullPointer 20

People shouldn't have to be cautious. Why can't someone go for a walk without bad things happening to them? Can you imagine being raped at a party, and then when you tell your family they tell you "you shouldn't have been drinking", and when you tell your friends they tell you "you shouldn't have danced with him", and when you tell the police they tell you "you shouldn't have went outside for a smoke alone". You can prevent a lot of things if you shut yourself in a box. But it's never a person's fault when someone else does something to them. And telling them how they could have avoided it isn't helping the situation. At least if I ever feel like raping I chick I know what I can say to myself to keep me from feeling guilty, after all, she shouldn't have taken such good care of her body. With an ass like that, she had it coming.

monnanon 13

Sorry but if you go walking at night in a neighbourhood that you know is bad then you have to take some part of the blame for putting yourself in a bad situation. True walking about on your own at night does not give people the right to attack you but you still have an obligation to look after yourself.

NullPointer 20

Well so I'll hang out in a bad part of town late at night. And then it will be her fault, won't it? The way I see it, an innocent person is innocent. And maybe OP is a black belt and also had pepper spray on her. The rapists may have been the ones in danger.

That depends, in my neighborhood children have a curfew of 11pm...anyone under 16 must be with a parent if they are walking around after that. Being accused of prostitution was wrong, but a child should NOT be at a truck stop at 1am.

NullPointer 20

What makes you think OP is a child?

NullPointer 20

Being out late in a sketchy place is a risk that she decided to take. No one has the right to stop her. I can't kidnap her and take nude pictures of her with the justification that someone else would no worse to her (rape, murder). Nor can the police force her to come with them and take her home. Everyone has the right to make their own decisions in their life. You can't force someone to do what you want, thinking that it is what is best for them (or at least better than what they chose). You have no reason to believe your goals are any more important than anyone else's goals. Everyone has reason, and everyone is the decider of their own life. People aren't a means to your ends, and your ends are no more important than theirs. I cannot take a gun and force someone to come with me, even if I think that this is better for them than what they chose.

NullPointer 20

No one has the right to stop someone from walking around. Were she was running in traffic, or climbing the water tower, or riding her bike blind-folded I would probably agree with you, that is what police are for. The police have no right to stop an innocent person from going for a walk. No one can have that right, as it would contradict human rights. I don't care who you are, you don't have the right to stop people from living their life however they decide to, unless they make a decision that affects other's right to live their life how they decide to. I think the police need to have less power. They are supposed to protect people's rights, and this is not protecting anyone's rights. How did they come to the decision that this person was violating anyone's rights? By the fact that she was walking? I don't care what any government says, rights are protected by the government, not handed out by them. You don't have the right to freedom because some people wrote it down on paper, you always had that right. Writing it on paper only means that they recognize that they will protect that right. I could write on paper that no one has the right to think, that would not take away people's right to think. Even were I the entire government writing it on paper would not make it so. Even if I had an army of police willing to arrest anyone who thought, that would not take away a person's right to think, nor would it give the police the right to arrest people who think. The police had no right to force her to do anything. They may be given guns and they may protect each other, and they may have prisons to throw people into, but that does not mean that they have the right to do it. Every innocent human has the exact same rights. Would you think it okay were I to carry a gun and force young women into my car? Why do you think it's okay for someone to do it, just because they are given the label "police officer"? How did the police officer gain these extra rights? How many extra rights can a person gain? Could one gain the right to enslave others? How is it that some rights can be handed out and not others? Who has the right to hand out rights? How do you get the right to hand out rights? Is it impossible that we all have the same rights? If we all do have the same rights, couldn't she have forced the police to come with her, and take them home? My point is, she did nothing wrong, and no one had the right to stop her from doing what she was doing.

NullPointer 20

I am not even sure that OP is a teen. My 21 year old friend lives with her parents. I'm in university, and many of the people I meet in university live at home. You shouldn't do anything just because you believe someone is prostituting. You need evidence to do anything. And no, being at a truck stop late at night is not evidence! Evidence would be that you heard her ask someone if they wanted to pay for a good time. That is evidence. I am against curfue laws, but that is another issue. Parents should decide whether their child should be out alone late at night, not the state. If there is a curfue and she is underage (neither of which we know) then the police should take her home. They shouldn't tell her parents that she's a prostitute though. And until I have reason to believe otherwise, I'm assuming that OP is an adult. I protest bigger things too, but that doesn't mean I ignore the small ones either. And I'm not so much protesting what the police did, as I am protesting what people believe. People believe that OP did something wrong and the police were right. These are beliefs that lead to people assuming the police are always right, and not acting on their rights. It's people's beliefs that give the police power. OP's story reminds me of a similar thing that happened to me. I was 15 and went out for a run at 1 am or so. I told my dad that I was going out for a run, and then 3 minutes later a police officer stopped me. She kept asking me my name, and I refused to tell her. I had the right to refuse. She called for backup, which I was actually glad of, because when it was just the two of us she acted like she was going to shoot me if I didn't tell her. I eventually gave in and told them my name, and then went home and told my dad what had happened. He called the police station and had the cop appologize to me. It wasn't much, but I'm glad that she was held accountable for her actions. She had no right to intimidate me, and once I refused to tell her my name she should have let me go. I was not suspected of commiting any crime (no crime was ever even mentioned to me), and there was no reason for me to have to supply my name. The thing is, I would probably have told her my name had she been polite. But she was extremely rude, and I do not respond well to rudeness. Had she been polite and asked me nicely if I didn't mind telling her my name I would have considered it.

Well now you know that in most places, if you are "out for a walk" at 1 AM - it usually means you are a crack head or a hooker. So if you do not want to be mistaken for one (or both), don't go for a walk at 1AM and ALWAYS stay clear of truck stops. Pretty simple really.

Im out at 1am a lot. I do however, have a penis. Tends to help keep the police at bay.

Cops are always stupid OP, relax about it.