By Kaylz - 07/03/2016 04:35 - Australia - Brisbane

Today, I was given a $100 cookbook as a gift by a co-worker. The man who shares a desk with me didn't realise it was mine, as he was at lunch when I got it, so he decided to give it to my boss when he walked in. My boss is refusing to return it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 201
You deserved it 1 462

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Steve97 32

Get your other co worker to vouch that it was a gift and report your boss for theft. Unless your company as a strict policy against gift giving.

alex_the_tiger 14

At a loss for words by how much of an ass your boss is

Comments

make the idiot who gave away something that wasn't his get you another one

Wow wtf . He owes your boss a replacement. It's your book and your boss should be intelligent enough to give it back .

muis545 21

Plot twist, OP was gifted the boss' stolen cookbook.

I think it's the coworker who gave OP the expensive gift who's really lost out here. I'd talk to them first. It's their decision, especially as they'll have proof of purchase that the thief won't be able to produce. Maybe both of you go to HR? This is really bizarre situation :S

nameisname 12

I know two wrongs don't make a right but steal something more valuable off his desk and give it to your friend as a gift.

Geckosrock99 33

What kind of person takes something they've never seen before from a desk they're sharing with someone else? Sure, OP could have put it in a safe place where the coworker couldn't get to it, but they shouldn't have to. Coworker shouldn't have assumed it was for them. OP, see if you can get the help of the person who originally gave you the gift, they might still have the receipt as proof. If you can't get your cookbook back, make the coworker buy you a new one. He's the one who stole it, and he needs to know that it isn't okay to assume everything on a shared desk is his.

What kind of idiot is your co-worker? Who the hell gives over an item that's not theirs?! Plus, your boss is a huge child.

Slow_Walker 7

Something similar happened to me :) My co-worker took a Christmas gift from the administrator's desk, that belonged to me. It was a basket of sweets and expensive Brandy, from our vendor company. When my boss found out she caused a scandal. The gift thief said he thought it was for him and he already drank the Brandy. The head of my department gave me his own basket and said that I deserved that gift. I pity you for not the lost book, but for the fact that your boss is an asshole.