By boohoo - 06/09/2009 14:21 - Ireland

Today, I was fired from my catering job for pointing out the unsafe food conditions. I'm studying food safety in college. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 768
You deserved it 6 120

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sic whatever government organization is in charge of this on their sorry asses.

Look on the bright side. If you get a job at the FDA you can close down that shitty company...

Comments

You should have stopped writing after the first sentence. The second was completely unnecessary.

This should classify as wrongful dismissal. Though my husband recently told me that in some countries like the United States you can actually get fired for no reason in something called a "right to work" state.. so I don't know if that applies in Ireland. If you have a workers board of rights I would go through them. Or you could be vindictive and report them to health inspection board.

Even in a "right to work" state some cause has to be shown. They could lay them off but it means a greater lean against the employer more with unemployment. Otherwise if they do not inform them what they are being fired for "due process" has been circumvented and that equals a major headach for human resources who have to act quickly to avoid a lawsuit. What a "right to work" state means is that close union shops are illegal. It is illegal in those states to require a person to join a union in order to work. This also means it is more difficult for a union to strike and in the case of government employees of "right to work" states typically illegal to strike.

PhishloverA 14

Yes, on USA applications where you sign it will say something like "I understand that this company may terminate my employment here without reason"

Department of health would be very interested. So would the department of labor. So would the local news.

That sort of gross situation happens more often than you'd think. :( Horrible anecdote ahead: At one of my previous jobs, I kept getting yelled at whenever the cooks or the manager caught me washing the cups. They were all unanimous about the fact that it was a waste of paid time to wash them and that we should just refill it with a new beverage and pass it on to the next customer without ever washing them. (despite regular customer complaints about dirty or greasy cups...) I was also yelled at for washing the kitchen ground, because they didn't want people sticking around longer or coming in early to clean it before opening or after closing hours. (Yes, we were told to never clean the kitchen, regardless of the dirt piling up and water etc. making mud in the ground... That restaurant was surreal. The employees were supposed to get free food during lunch break etc, but due to the unsanitary conditions very quickly I would refuse anything not cooked by me or served on something not washed by me.) You can guess I didn't stick around long, but before I ditched the place I was delighted to find out the health inspectors were looking into them and they were in trouble. :) Sadly, since then I found out that while that place was definitely out of the norm, disgusting conditions and "cups don't need to be washed!" and other such things are frequent in a ton of other establishments... Makes you not want to eat out.

Cartman: Well, God I guess you got me again, didn't you? Yup, that was a good one, God. I hope it made you laugh, you sick bastard.

sublime93 0

Yeah... In this case i think the thing to do is report their unsanitary(?) conditions.

food safety ? So you are studying if a rotten tomato thrown on a humans face can seriously damage it ? O.O cool...

RVP23 0

After having worked in a kitchen for just 3 months, I will never again eat anywhere with a health department rating of lower than 95.

*high fives* I know what you mean, SO MUCH.