By A.K. - 27/05/2009 12:40 - United States

Today, I was driving on the highway and a cop had his radar gun out. The woman in front of me panics and slams her brakes on, causing me to rear end her. The cop cited me for "tailgating" and I have to pay for the damages on both of our cars. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 177
You deserved it 21 095

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Thats the technical definition of tailgating. If you're so close to the other car that in a situation in which the car in front of you suddenly breaks, and you rear end the car in front of you, that would be tailgating. Really, what do you think tailgating is if its not exactly the situation you're in now?

I cant stand people who slam on their brakes whenever they see a cop. Especially when the dudes on the other side of the highway

Comments

So, aside from this story being the classic definition of tailgating, what exactly is your point?

Learn to keep distance! 2 second rule!

They increased it to 4 seconds in good weather, 6 seconds when it rains/snows. I'm 17, I had driver's ed a year and a half ago, so no I'm not making this up. And yes I have my license. lol.

golfman717 0

You don't even know the rule...

Wellll sorry to say, but the cop wouldn't have ticketed you for tailgating unless you were in fact tailgating her BEFORE the accident even happened. It's not like she came to a complete stop, she just dramatically and suddenly reduced her speed (which by the way, pisses the shit out of me too), which is no different than if she had been brake-testing you. In either case, you were bound to hit her because you obviously weren't traveling at a safe distance. IF you had been, you probably wouldn't have hit her because you would've had more time to react and 1. would've been able to slam on your brakes as well or 2. would've been able to switch lanes. That's why they teach you the 3-second rule people! Still not a YDI, but I don't feel sorry for you either.

if you were following at the recommended distance you'd have plenty of time to stop even if she slammed her breaks on... sorry, but this is totally your fault, and you should pay the damages.

Technically you're still tailgating because there wasn't enough space for you to do an emergency brake. YDI and FYL. I hate it when people ******* slams on their brakes as soon as they see the cops.

Today, I was driving on the highway and some idiot rear ended me, damaging my car. He even had the nerve to complain that he was getting a ticket and has to pay for it. FML

Your a douche for posting this. Just saying

Yeah, you must have been driving really close to her or not paying attention if you couldn't stop in time. Your fault, sorry.

bonafidehustler 0

#16 fails. It sucks, but you were technically tailgating. It's still a crappy situation though because the biatch shouldn't have slammed on her brakes.

Thank you #16 LOL I was just typing up my own version: "Today, I was driving on the highway. I saw a cop and realized I had been speeding, so I slammed on my breaks to slow down (which still kind of makes me an idiot) and this douche-bag who had been tailgating me the whole time slammed right into me. Now I have to deal with the hassle of getting a rental and waiting for my car to be repaired, all with the neck pain associated with whiplash. FML"

At least one car-length my friend. Or it's tailgating. Plus, getting insurance would be a good idea. Even if it's not illegal not to have it where you are. #16: DIAF.