By Anonymous - 13/12/2009 23:47 - United States

Today, I was accepted to college and received a scholarship equal to almost half the tuition. After sharing this news with my parents, I spent the next 35 minutes getting yelled at about how I wasn't allowed to go there because my boyfriend might go there. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 782
You deserved it 2 490

Same thing different taste

Top comments

screw them ur 18 now, or over, and you can do what you want. legally. fyl, but ur rly not in a bad situation

Wow, that's lame... Unless it was an easy college to get into. Then they might think he is the only reason you're going.

Comments

I can't comprehend why any parents, Asian or not (I'm Asian) would keep their children from their friends, unless for some reason their friends had been perceived as bad influence. In which case it's probably a good thing and has little to do with whether they were Asian or not.

Ugh - if it is the right college for you, then go anyway - not sure where you'll get the other half (loans?). If you're going their for because your boyfriend is going there.... I hope you're right because if you're wrong about him and well, he pulls something like one of the bazilliontrillion other things you can read about here on FML, then you're a dope (and don't bitch when it happens!). Most relationships that start in high school don't go the distance (whatever that means).

AndreaHatesYou1 0

You're 18, go anyway. Your parents are idiots.

The people who are saying **** your parents are being irresponsible. Talk to your parents, in an adult manner, tell them your concerns and listen to theirs. Yes, you will be 18 or already are, but that doesnt mean you cant get advice from your parents. If you are planning on having your parents pay for the rest of your college tuition, they should have a say in what school you attend. If you can pay for it yourself and if their only reason for not wanting you to attend that college is your boyfriend, then you can tell them that you are going to live the life they gave you and go to the college of your choice.

Just remember your relationship with your parents is very likely going to last a lot longer than the one with your high school sweetheart, no matter how good a lay it seems like he is now. If your parents took the time to yell at you for 30 minutes, they probably think that he is worse for you than the average schmuck at college. My guess is they see he has no worthwhile ambition in life, or he is just a flat out jerk but you can't see it. Your parents have been through all phases of a long term relationship. You have only been through the first part, which is the one where you are the least rational. That, combined with the ignorance of youth, is a combination that suggests you listen to your parents.

@61: Don't judge, you have no idea what this person's parents are like. My husband, who I began dating in my freshman year of college (close enough to high school) just told his psycho bitch mother to never speak to us again. She once gave him advice. She thought that he shouldn't marry me because I'm Jewish and told him to go away for two years, escape my clutches, and find a suitable girl to marry. This all happened right in front of my face. "My guess is they see he has no worthwhile ambition in life, or he is just a flat out jerk but you can't see it." My guess is that they're scary religious control freaks that would like to buy their daughter a chastity belt. Some people's parents are just a-holes, and the relationship with the significant other is worth much more than the relationship with the parents.

wow i really dont like your parents right now >:( they should be proud that you got the scholarship not ruining it by bringing your boyfriend into this. they should celebrate this momentous occasion but yes they should have a chat to you about the relationship your boyfriend and you but not shout about it.

yourkiddingright_fml 0

I bet your father knocked up your mother in college and they both had to drop out!! Tell your ******* idiot parents to get over themselves and get as far away from them as possible! You will be far better off without assholes like this in your life!

yourkiddingright_fml 0

Just checked out the link to what a secret. That site is worse than this one for plain stupidity!

There definitely needs to be some more trust on your parents side. They will be in for a big shock when they want information on you or your grades and won't be able to get it because the university cannot give it to them because you are a legal adult. The only one who can share any information on you is you. This news should bring happiness and pride not arguing and yelling. I guess it's going to be FTL when you're in college. Sorry your news wasn't better received.

HBubble 3

Hope you told you parents to GFY.