By BakedBat - 21/02/2014 04:10 - United States - Minneapolis

Today, I walked into my apartment and smelled something extremely repugnant. I asked my roommate what had happened and she said, "I didn't know how else to kill it!" She'd trapped a bat that was in our apartment, put it in the oven, and set it to 400 degrees. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 983
You deserved it 4 438

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why would it even be necessary to kill it?

Why not just capture it and release it outside?? It would be less messy and more humane..

Comments

slkeithh 14

Girl needs to be smacked. Hard. Repeatedly. Then taught how to open a ******* front door to let an animal out.

Goblin182 26

Just wondering how many people saying how cruel this is has ever eaten lobster.

Coeliacchic93 21

I haven't eaten lobster but they are usually put in a fridge to induce hibernation before they are cooked. I understand they are still alive but I doubt they'd feel it. that poor bat would've felt everything.

I Have never eaten Lobster....Even then, that has a purpose, Too feed someone, However the Bat wasn't going to be used for sustenance It was tortured and will of died in agony as the oven got hotter and hotter

@59 I'm pretty sure when a lobster is placed in boiling water, it dies instantly or at least very quickly. Plus, as other commenters have said, it's usually put in freezer to stun it so it doesn't feel anything. It's method that's used to make sure the lobster suffers as little as possible. I'm sure this poor bat suffered and was terrified. :(

Goblin182 26

Ever been to a seafood restaurant with a lobster tank? They take the lobster from the tank to the pot. And no, death is not instantaneous enough that the lobster feels no pain. So #70, it's ok to cause an animal if you are going to eat it?

# 247 I assume you are a vegetarian other wise that is a hypocritical comment but For sustenance, yes it is ok to kill animals for food.

#247: It's the same as asking if it's okay for a spider to eat bugs that they catch on their webs. It's the same as asking if it's okay for a snake to eat a live field mouse. It's the same as asking if it's okay for a mosquito to stay on your arm and suck your blood instead of swatting at it and possibly killing it. It may be cruel, but, even as humans, it's a part of survival. I melt over animals as much as any other animal enthusiast, but humans were designed to be omnivores, if not carnivores, and that involves some animals dying. Don't even get me started on the killing of billions of trillions of microbes for human consumption each minute (for instance, yeast cells in bread and beer or Lactobacillus in yogurt and cheese) if you want to talk hypocrisy. But if it concerns you, that's why God invented kosher. Or, in a Native American fashion, you can thank the animals involved in nourishing you at dinner time through verbal grace.

Op roommate need to respond to this fml. So she can explain her thinking process. why was burning the bat alive an option and was the winner over at least 4 humane ways to handle this situation.

Fear can do strange things to people. But the bat deserved it for thinking it could do what it normally had done in its life. *End of Sarcasm*

Probably more scared because it's the one that went into the oven! Poor thing!!

Wow..I can't believe she thought that was a viable solution. That's very cruel.

I can't believe she thought that was a viable solution. That's so cruel and horrifying. :s

What a bitch! Put her in the oven and cook the viper. In fact stick her in the microwave. I really despise people who hurt animals

Bats can actually be really aggressive, but yeah, thats a bit extreme

Actually, bats are not aggressive. They will usually bite only in a defensive measure. Also, a common misconception is bats have a high rabies count, which is not true. Less than 1/2 of 1% of the bat population is rabid.

Less than one half of one percent of sexual encounters with a known-HIV+ individual result in infection, too, but I'm not going to go around having sex without a condom. And that's for a disease that these days, is no longer a death sentence, and can be managed with medication like any other long-term illness. Rabies, by contrast, is 100% fatal (except for one or two people who have been saved via what's become known as the Milwaukee protocol) and is a truly horrible way to die. One-half of one percent of dying a truly horrible death is not odds I want to play, TYVM. In fact, if you wake up in a room and there's a bat flying around you're supposed to get rabies shots because bats can bite you in your sleep without noticing. Their teeth are very fine and can cause very small puncture wounds. The same is true if you find a bat in a room with a child, an intoxicated or drugged person, or a mentally-handicapped person, i.e. someone who might not be able to tell you they'd been bitten. The only dumbass maneuver here was in attempting to capture the bat, risking a bite, and subsequently baking the bat so it can't be autopsied for signs of rabies.

#194: Please don't go around spreading half-truths. On the contrary, rabies is one of, if not the only, very few viruses that can be treated successfully after exposure. If you read the *entire* article on rabies, it's only fatal if you fail to treat the bite, especially after symptoms set in. Treatment is very effective if given within less than 7 days of exposure; it is 100% effective if treatment is given within the same day of exposure. It takes approximately 10 days for symptoms to become apparent, in which case, any competent person who suspects exposure to or bites from a rabid animal would visit an emergency clinic for treatment (or possible post-exposure prophylaxis) within a 7-day time-frame. It reminds me of a guy who had a brown recluse bite and shrugged it off until he lost a third of his leg after 2 weeks of ignoring the bite. Had he sought treatment beforehand, he probably would still have his leg. In other words, it's better to be safe than sorry; seek treatment, even if you don't think it's deadly. As far as I know, rabies vaccines are commonplace for children in the U.S., so the chances of death from rabies is incredibly low. You'd have to be in a sheltered rural area with no knowledge of (or no) local medical facilities to see no chance of treatment.

nevergiveinever 19

Your roommate must be a real ding-bat.... Forgive me. I had to. Lol