By Andrew - 24/11/2011 20:19 - United Kingdom

Today, I tried to buy a bottle of wine from the supermarket. The scrawny, acne-ridden kid at the checkout asked to see my ID. I didn't have any on me, since I'm 37 years old and didn't expect to be asked stupid questions. I complained to his manager, only to be asked to leave. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 696
You deserved it 54 504

Same thing different taste

Comments

YDI, you're supposed to keep your ID on you at all times and it's general policy to card for alcohol.

NullPointer 20

At all times, really? Says who? Why are you supposed to? That's insane.

NullPointer 20

I'm embarrassed to be of the same species as the people who thumbed up someone saying you need to always have your ID on you and thumbed down someone questioning that.

Well, when you find yourself in a horrible accident, your ID being on your person may help save your life; it helps identify you (shocking, right?), allows hospitals to find if you're seriously allergic to anything, and can help get in contact with your loved ones. But if you're willing to take those unforeseen risks, then by all means, question common sense.

NullPointer 20

Wow, just wow. Save your life huh? There is a huge number of things that could save your life. I have no allergies, btw, bet you didn't see that one coming. And unless my cell phone is destroyed they could contact my family and identify me using that. Also, what about people who don't care about being quickly identified after being in a serious accident? Why not say "You should always bring a rope, always"? I can come up with more cases where a rope will save your life than your ID. How about "You should always be carrying a full bottle of water"? That would also save your life in more instances than your ID. It seems you didn't really think that through.

You don't always carry a rope with you? Or a bottle of water? Hmmm, I always carry an emergency kit in my trunk. But those things won't save you after an SUV plows into your vehicle at 60MPH. Your phone while also most likely be destroyed. There's a good chance that a super thin flat piece of plastic in your back pocket will not. He wasn't specifically talking about you having allergies, just people in general. Besides how will the hospital know if you don't have allergies?! Or if you need a blood transfusion. How would you get the right type of blood? " Also, what about people who don't care about being quickly identified after being in a serious accident?" Most moronic thing I've ever heard on FML ever. That sentence in itself made your entire [ridiculous] argument null/void. The general sane population would like to be quickly identified upon their death. As would their family. If one of my parents died in an accident they would want us to be taken care of. Their estate handled. Who in their right mind would want to prolong that process? Are you by any chance the OP? Because you sound just as moronic and irrational as the OP does.

SecretAsianMann 3

Try not being an asshole next time.

"didn't expect to be asked stupid questions" - yes, maybe you look your age. But they're still strictly speaking supposed to check ID, at least where I am. And if the "kid" is (I'm guessing) young, then he's probably new and was told to always check. Get over it, go home, get your ID and come back. What's the big deal? Also, like #1 pointed out, it is a compliment.

alliewillie 22

^ agreed. Also - why were you driving without a license?!

because you don't legally have to here. You just have to be able to provide the licence within a certain amount of time if requested.

Not only that but the fact that the OP needed that wine so desperately is sort of pathetic. OP's need to drink is not more important than the kid at the till's job. I would NEVER make an exception for a jerk customer without ID because jobs are hard enough to come by and I wouldn't want to look for another one. TL;DR: OP's an alcoholic jerk.

leogirl95 12

Why would you not carry your ID?

Some people are just retarded you just have to learn to ignore there stupidity

The irony here is OVERWHELMING. The clerk and manager aren't "retarded" for doing THEIR jobs, moron. Store policy is store policy.

Their* stupidity. Don't spell like an idiot and judge someone else's level of intelligence in the same sentence, please.

JayJayAttackAtta 5

I would point out that it's "their" not "there" but Epic beat me to it so I'm gonna end this comment with... YARG!!!!

sweet2u22 9

It's his job to ask. I work in retail and it's so irritating when people bitch and complain about company policy. Besides, that really wasn't anything to freak out about, so take it as a compliment.

SecretAsianMann 3

As a retail veteran of six years, I feel your pain. I mean seriously, people flip their shit over the stupidest things.

bigAC 6

be thankful he didn't throw a turkey at you.

The kid's just doing his job , asshole , and obviously you weren't because you weren't carrying your I.D. -.-

Under 40,always card. Common gas station rule

Some places I'd under 40. Stop being a dick and carry I'd. It's not that hard.

juturnaamo 29