By obviously a scumbag criminal - 24/11/2017 19:00

Today, I took a drug test for probation and failed a category called "tricyclic antidepressants". The tablet of Benadryl I took last night for sleep assistance caused me to violate my probation. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 022
You deserved it 590

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Lobby_Bee 17

Using artificial sedative isn't always the best option, try hard liquor next time.

Benadryl is not a tricyclic antidepressant and not close to it. This would be a false-positive result. Fyi, benadryl does not easily cause a positive drug screen. If you haven't taken something else, it means you're taking way too much benadryl, practically toxic, to be causing a false positive. I suggest you lay off using it for sleep assistance - that's not healthy and not Benadryl's purpose.

Comments

indienerdgirl 27

Why not just try melatonin first if you've had trouble sleeping? I'm not 100% sure but I doubt you'd have this problem with it. Unless of course you've been there done that already.

PhantomCrevan 8

Melatonin doesn't work for some people, can actually cause excessive awareness in some people, and can actually "break" their circadian rhythm until it gets out of their system. Which can lead to psychotic breaks if it prevents them from sleeping for more than two days.

I didn't know that. I'm that way with melatonin, but I thought I was just a freak of nature, since none of the prescription sleep aids work correctly for me, either. Hence the trying of melatonin.

Bruh what kinda drug tests you taking mine didn’t have that shit

KrazyKatz3 26

You should check with a doctor if you're on probation what drugs will show...

PhantomCrevan 8

Benadryl isn't labeled as being for sleep by the makers or the FDA. However, there are a large number of doctors that DO 'prescribe' it as a mild sleep aid. There's also a fairly large amount of doctors that unofficially 'prescribe" it to patients as an anti-anxiety medicine, because it is (from what one such doctor told me) chemically similar to vistaril. Doctors actually "unofficially" (and usually without proper documentation) prescribe Benadryl at various doses for issues it isn't labeled for, if they or the patient want to start with the medicine for their condition that is extremely mild.

Look up unisom or zzzquil both of those are sleep aids made up solely of Benedryl

Off-label use of many drugs is actually really common. Benadryl is definitely one of the most common, but it is far from the only one. Most off-label use in the human medicine world is in mental health. Many of those drugs are approved only for this condition or that, but work fantastically for something else. Doctors learn this and companies don't want to pay for the additional testing to get it FDA-approved. So, doctors keep using it for this unofficial way, and so long as it works, nobody cares.

are you sure it was benadryl? I actually take a tricyclic antidepressant as a sleep aid, I can't see you failing a drug test for it.