By Anonymous - 09/02/2018 14:00 - United Kingdom - Poole

Today, I started a part-time job at a nursery. One of the kids asked me if I was single, so I explained to her that I am with another woman. My boss fired me on the spot for "acting inappropriately". FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 485
You deserved it 1 284

Top comments

That is discrimination and illegal in the UK I believe. They asked, you answered. It isn't like you said you had sex. You were not even pushing your view on them, you were just being honest. I wonder if your boss would have reacted that way if you'd been in a heterosexual relationship..

How is it inappropriate to tell them about your partner if they ask whether you have one?

Comments

Mungolikecandy 19

They have just broken the Equality Act. I suppose it depends on how explicit you described your living arrangements but if you just said you were with another woman then they have left themselves liable for a significant complaint to be made.

thatslifeiguess7 16

To those saying you should have lied or something like that should get a grip! its 2018 not 1967

onceuponatime456 16

You should check to see about a lawsuit!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You’re hilarious. Would anyone have felt the same if she said she has a husband? If no, then they’re wrong. OP, if you have any proof you should sue and get yourself a nice house.

educate on what, that gay people exist?

Admitting you have a spouse is "inappropriate"? It doesn't sound like OP was explaining her love life using dolls or anything explicit. Nor whining about relationship problems. How exactly is "Yeah I've got a wife" inappropriate? Do they really expect a court to believe they'd react the same to a guy saying "I've hot a wife"? What would a workplace that strict even look like?WTF else is off limits? Admitting you have a pet or hobbies? Boss is likely some fundie POS who thinks homosexuality is filthy. And hopefully OP is sending a lawyer to destroy him.

I'm wondering why the kid asked if you were single and what business it is of theirs. O.o

Kids ask that all the time along with favorite animal, color, age, etc.

Fake!!! This would not happen in the U.K. we have very strict laws about this sort of thing.

So let me get this straight..... Just because it's illegal, this can't have happened? Last time I checked, it's a federal crime for hate speech and hate crimes to happen here in United States. But that didn't seem to stop the ******* idiots in America that are huge Trump supporters going committing hate crimes all across the country when ******* Trump got elected for presidency. So that's fake, too, careless of it having been on the news?

Mmmmm when did hate speech become a federal crime? Because I know a lot of blacks who would be in jail for the shit they say to white people. Please tell me the exact law that jails you for hate speech. I will wait

OP, you'll be glad to hear that that's illegal in the UK so get a solicitor on the case and sue for wrongful dismissal. Under no circumstances can they justify firing you for identifying yourself as gay.

That's not right. The kid asked, you gave a honest answer. You never said anything about having sex nor did you go around parading around nude pictures. THAT would have been inappropriate. Sue their damn asses. Take them to court, because they're pretty much violating human rights since they're as good as saying, "You're gay, you're an animal, not human," by firing you just for stating you're in a same sex relationship because of your sexuality.

ncparry 18

You couldn’t have just answered “No.”?

Yes, teach children to lie about who they love because it might make someone uncomfortable

ncparry 18

Um....just saying No, if asked if she was single? If I’m asked if I’m single, I say no. I don’t decide to lecture a small child on my sexuality. Go take your meds, crazy.