By NakuEh - 25/12/2016 19:29 - United States

Today, I spent Christmas trying to cover up my mom's affair in hopes that my siblings could spend one Christmas without a yelling match breaking out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 079
You deserved it 730

NakuEh tells us more.

NakuEh 27

OP here. There have been a few questions, so I will take the time to answer them. First off, my siblings are 9 and 11 (I am a whopping 10 years older than them. Yay me.), so at this age I would like for them to keep being happy and innocent on Christmas and not associate it with the day their family was torn apart. In the case of my mom, she wasn't caught, but the reason I was the one who had to hide everything was because she was being heavily medicated after having a surgery and almost let it slip the night before. My dad has cheated on my mother multiple times and has not treated her very well, so I can understand why she would cheat and I don't pity him. I guess I've dealt with my mom crying over him for so long that I've seen this coming and it is karma. No matter what happens from here, I will not allow my siblings to be sad and have their family torn from them on Christmas because the adults don't know how to adult.

Top comments

Good for you for putting your family first, but that isn't your job to essentially be the parent of your own parent like that. It takes a lot of courage and maturity to do that, A+ for the effort ?

Indeed. I always let my family know when I'm having an affair.

Comments

NakuEh 27

OP here. There have been a few questions, so I will take the time to answer them. First off, my siblings are 9 and 11 (I am a whopping 10 years older than them. Yay me.), so at this age I would like for them to keep being happy and innocent on Christmas and not associate it with the day their family was torn apart. In the case of my mom, she wasn't caught, but the reason I was the one who had to hide everything was because she was being heavily medicated after having a surgery and almost let it slip the night before. My dad has cheated on my mother multiple times and has not treated her very well, so I can understand why she would cheat and I don't pity him. I guess I've dealt with my mom crying over him for so long that I've seen this coming and it is karma. No matter what happens from here, I will not allow my siblings to be sad and have their family torn from them on Christmas because the adults don't know how to adult.

That's very honorable and loyal to your siblings, they are blessed to have such a caring brother! Keep it up OP

becca9985 34

Not sure if its an option, but if you live on your own, you could always take your siblings to your place without your parents. That way they can have the happy holidays you seem to desire for them. And kudos to you for being so mature that you look beyond your own desires and tried to do what was best for them. You sound like a fantastic human being!

Good for you for being the adult in the family. I really feel sorry for you and your siblings. The only thing I'll say is that to cheat because your partner cheated is probably never the right thing to do. Im sure your dad has hurt your mom like crazy, it's very disgusting of him! But I hope you can help your mom understand that cheating isn't the solution. Perhaps a divorce is a better option in a couple where there is constant cheating.

Remember and take some time for yourself, You're doing a good siblings job but remember and have some you time. Good luck OP.

You sound like a good big sibling OP. I bet they'll be grateful when they're old enough to understand.

24, not every situation is ideal. Sometimes people stay in abusive relationships for fear, or other reasons we do not know. Sometimes cheating is the only thing that will get someone enough self esteem to leave the relationship. Our society loves to act so holy as we pirate software, finance child labour in Asia, and continue to shit on our homeless. Stop pretending. there are many reasons to cheat and many situations where I would not hold it against someone. Life is rarely black and white. For instance, a previous relationship of mine would threaten and (convincingly) attempt suicide when I mentioned breaking up. I couldn't leave till I got her help. When your own relationship isn't safe, sometimes you have to look elsewhere. I wouldn't blame anyone for cheating at that point. Sometimes it's ******* justified.

You're awesome OP. I'm sorry you have to go through that though you shouldn't need to take care of it for your mom. Hope things get better.

#28) You're wrong. Cheating is never justified. And I highly doubt this couple was cheating for reasons like their life is threatened because of the other. Cheating is NEVER justified. Ever. If you were forced to marry someone and you loved someone else and still are in contact with them. That.. I don't label as "cheating" because circumstances are different. But if you're married to someone and they're constantly cheating on you, and you get back at them by cheating on them. It's not ******* justified. And I'm speaking to this case that OP is going through solely right now. Of course, you look at every case differently. But cheating is NEVER justified. You aren't someone living in a homeless land, being raped and forced to marry, are you? Because you sure cannot use that excuse. And cheating doesn't raise self-esteem.. What are you saying? Cheating is considered a shameful act if it gets out, you're shunned by society. It's not something people do for self-esteem. So I don't know what you're saying there. I also dated someone who said they'd commit suicide if I left, that doesn't mean I started cheating on them and sleeping with others.

Cheating is never justified, if you have negative feelings about your partner and want a new or different relationship then it is your part to break up the relationship before you chase those new goals, if your partner talks about suicide don't let them guilt trip you, tell them you won't care about them more than they care about themselves and their own life is their own responsibility, tell somebody if you have to but don't let somebody make you their reason to live

I don't disagree that cheating is never justified, but you can't always just leave a relationship. Especially if you're married. You have to go through a lot to get divorced. It takes a long time. It's different if you're not married, but it depends if it's an abusive relationship or not. Well I guess that's not true. I never get why you can't just leave someone in an abusive relationship. Just ******* leave. If they're abusing you, either emotionally or physically, why don't you just leave? I also get that they might threaten with suicide, but I doubt they will actually go through with that. I'm getting a little off track here, but what I'm trying to say is that cheating is never just in most situations, and that it can be hard to leave a relationship when you're married, and when it's an abusive relationship.

SteelSoul5 9

No need to tell anybody you did the right thing.

Don't do that it's her mess , she should be old enough to know better.

You're a good person, OP. I hope your family appreciates you.

Ok yeah you shouldn't tell your dad or anybody now, but your dad deserves to be told privately about this, sometime after Christmas is over, definitely within the next week. Please do so. Thank you Whether he cheated or not in the past is not relevant to whether you should tell him or not. 2 wrongs do not make a right. His wife betrayed him- he deserves to know about it. Hiding it from him is lying by omission, in the worst way. And if you wanna point out that him cheating was wrong too, then do so

No, OP is doing the right thing by just keeping the peace. That's married people's business, and although he knows the details, it's not his place to tell anything. Those are his parents, not his friends that he can afford to lose. He shouldn't sacrifice his relationships with either of them because they wanna be immature and unfaithful. Thats they're mess to figure out