By Anonymous - 24/07/2012 02:08 - United States

Today, I saw a news story about how wearing flip-flops is dangerous. I scoffed at the ridiculous study and went about my business. Three hours later I accidentally ripped off my toenail. While wearing flip-flops. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 010
You deserved it 22 896

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The irony in this FML and the description makes me want to clip my own toenails before this happens to me.

I don't think "Floridians" are the only ones who wear flip flops.

Comments

Two weeks ago I went to a concert sporting a pair of high heel sandals and nothing happened... The very next day I fell down the metro station's stairs and sprained my ankle really bad because of the flip-flops I was wearing. FUUUUUCK.

I hate flip flops. Just that "whack whack whack" sound they make when they smack against your heelsmwhen you walk is so annoying.

I too hate flip flops for that same reason and the way it adheres to your foot via that string between your big toe and second toe. It is just uncomfortable. I don't care about the natural way the foot is suppose to walk. I use to wear shoes that helped give my foot a small arch since i didn't really have much of one as a child so flip flops would just hurt my feet and offer nothing for me. Also anytime i see people with flip flops they just have dirty feet.

They are ugly and uncomfortable. I don't see why people wear them in the first place. I feel the exact same way about jeans.

So u watched that too I said the same thing and it was on the weather channel there reporting it terrible

That's actually a lie... Flip flops let your feet move naturally.

jem970 19

Flip flots provide no arch support which can then effect your back and your posture. But they are comfy :)

86: "Arch support" is something that needs to be de-emphasized. It's actually the opposite -- the more "support" you give your foot, the less your foot is used. The result is that certain muscles, underused, become atrophied. It's similar to having your leg splinted without a fracture. Your foot needs a chance to be a proper foot. If you look at your pinky toe, you will notice that it is curved inward. This effect is due to growing up wearing restrictive footwear. I'm not advocating running around with bare feet, but I'm merely suggesting that flip-flops won't detract from this "arch support" that you speak of. I personally wear VFFs, but to each his/her own.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

No one scoffs at science and gets away with it.

this happened to me a few weeks ago. Turn it into a funny story, "it flipped, so I flopped" haha, that does suck though, good luck with your toe for the next week or so.

mycatsaysmeow 7

It would seem common sense to me that they're dangerous. They're flimsy, usually thin, open toed shoes and I actually have read news articles saying wearing flip flops often is likely to give you ankle problems later in life because of the added effort to keep them on your feet.

nela25 23

That sounds extremely painful. Makes me want to constantly wear closed toe shoes.