By b5b0n36 - 06/03/2016 02:38 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, I rubbed chilli powder on my fingers in an attempt to kick the habit of biting my nails. Ten minutes later I went to the bathroom. It still burns. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 414
You deserved it 7 424

b5b0n36 tells us more.

hey, OP here. thanks for the suggestion! I will look into it cause chilli powder was a horrible disaster hahaha

Top comments

I believe they have a nail polish you can put on your nails that tastes bad when you try to bite them, seems a lot better than chili powder

Next time try vinegar or clear nail polish. They also make polish for this purpose.

Comments

Always carry nail clippers with you. Clip your nails short and clip any that are chipped or broken. I always gnawed on mine because they were uneven or broken and doing this solved it for me.

I would bite mine instead of clipping them, too. I stopped when I got braces, made it more painful

I've experienced the wrath of spicy foods ... I guess you just wanted to cut out the middle man and go straight for the burn!

I used to have that habit until age 19. I noticed I bit my nails when I was bored, and started putting my hands behind my back or under my legs soon as I realized what I was doing. I had a few relapses but a few months later it worked!

Try vinegar or lemon juice instead, they also have nail polish for this

There are worst habits than biting your nails. Good luck trying to quit though.

I feel you, OP. No nail biting tricks ever worked for me - the special bitter nail varnish, a nice manicure, carrying around nail clippers or a file, flicking an elastic band around my wrist instead, sitting on my hands...turned out it was a real compulsion. I was put on some mood stabilisers for my mood disorder and as soon as I moved up to 200mg a day my nail/skin biting completely stopped, almost overnight. I had to move down to a slightly lower dose and my nail biting has come back, but at least it's a starting point. tl;dr - you may wish to talk to your doctor about nail biting.

hahaha... hihihi.... (catching my breath ) hahaha!

TeacherTeacher 11

I bit my nails until my father died and then quit without realizing it. Without him in my life the stress I was trying to manage by biting my nail was gone. Maybe you'd be better served looking for the cause of the nail biting instead of treating the symptom.

I wonder if that was the inspiration for Ring of fire, by Johnny Cash.

I wonder if that was the inspiration for Ring of fire, by Johnny Cash.