By MelMayle - 05/01/2010 16:32 - United States

Today, I received a phone call from the local utilities company, telling me in essence: "We regret to inform you that your meter was switched, and we have been billing you for an unoccupied unit for the past 15 months. You owe us $1123.28. We apologize for any inconvenience." FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 366
You deserved it 2 912

MelMayle tells us more.

I recently graduated from college and moved in this brand new unit / my first apartment, which is in a different state. I figured the rates were just low and the apartment was energy efficient. Come to find out, my bills actually exceeded $100 and $200 some months... I just don't understand how the customer service reps at the utility company, nor the complex--who was paying my actual bill the entire time--did not catch it sooner, especially considering they would be more familiar with how the rates run. But my biggest problem: They taking so long to catch it, drove my bill up. Had I been aware of my actual usage, I could have easily reduced my usage.

Top comments

blazingman311 1

Something like that happened to me, except they billed me for the correct unit.

Comments

Excuse my language but tell them to go F themselves! Making you pay for something that's not even your fault? Could the world get any worse?

Apology not accepted, pay the bill yourselves instead

Pendatic & LolatUhehe funny stuff going on there

Call the phone company and threaten to switch service. then they'll give you some sort of discount or promotional thing to make up for it.

shawnagreenbean1 9

Uhhhhhh. **** that, OP. You don't owe them for shit you weren't using. That's their bad, so they can go **** themselves :-)

shawnagreenbean1 9

Wait, I read that wrong. Still, though, it's their mistake, they should cut you some kind of deal.

it was their mistake. you shouldn't have to pay for their ridiculous error.

actually if they said that exactly then take it to court it was their **** up and you can actually get the charges dropped

They should work with you in giving you time to pay it seeing as it was their mix up.