By That Guy - 01/11/2014 12:58 - United States - Tampa

Today, I realized why the lady I had complimented the night before on Halloween about her amazing one-armed costume, looked so hurt. She is literally missing an arm. I'm an asshole. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 610
You deserved it 14 237

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mc2013 18

Ouch. You didn't know. Unless you made a horrible comment about her missing arm then she shouldn't take it to heart. Accidents happen.

You're not an asshole if you feel bad for the mistake you made.

Comments

You had no way of knowing tell her this and apologise asap

NodakN8V 25

Accidents happen......literally.

You shouldn't feel bad. It was an accident. You're not an asshole if you feel guilty and you admit to making a mistake.

toxic_hippos 11

That really sucks dude,I'm sure if you ever get to explain it to her she'll understand.

There's no way you could have known, don't feel so bad about it.

At least you can admit your mistake. I hope you could apologize about it

What I don't really understand is why she took offense. She was out on Halloween. She had to have known that someone would make that mistake. If it'd been me with a missing arm, I would have done as #7 suggested and use that disadvantage to make a zombie costume or something. Or at the very least if it'd been me, I would have understood that people shouldn't always assume things for what they really are, especially on Halloween. If you can't make jokes about yourself, or make light of things you've been through, it makes your life extra hard to deal with.

There was a girl at Universal the other night who'd made being missing an arm the key focus of her costume. I expect how she feels depends on the costume. If she was dressed as Jessica Rabbit maybe you were out of line. If she was a zombie then maybe not so.

Aww. Well, it was a legitimate mistake. I'm sure if you explained, she'd understand.