By emopoe - 09/10/2013 18:25 - United States - Salem

Today, I realized I can't afford to break up with my boyfriend of 2 years, as we split the rent. I'll need a second job just to get out of my bad relationship. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 418
You deserved it 8 302

emopoe tells us more.

OP here. I can't live with a roommate, did that for 4 years and learned a lot about what happens when your roomie doesn't come up with their half of the rent, and lost way too many friends that way. It would be worse than what I'm dealing with now. Our apartment is already the cheapest in town, I don't have parents or friends to move in with. The bright side is, my boyfriend is NOT abusive. And to the nasty comments that say YDI for using him for money, I clearly stated we split the rent.

Top comments

Find a share with a roommate. There are plenty of available rooms if you look for them.

frizz101 22

You can still break up, maybe sit down with him and talk about your relationship, and how things have changed from when you started dating, you may be surprised he might even feel the same way, and you can figure out the best way to end your relationship amicably. And even have enough time to figure out your living arrangements.

Comments

I'd start looking for another job or move to a more affordable apartment.

It's not your fault, but keep this experience in mind the next time you're thinking of moving in with a dude you aren't engaged or married to. I've seen so many friends in your situation.

It's not her fault for putting herself in this position?

You're suggesting that just as soon as people pop the question, things will all work perfectly well. I just got out of a relationship with a long-term partner, yes, we were engaged, thought we were going to soend the rest of our lives together, etc.. Sometimes things simply don't work out, and its unforeseeable.

Try and find a more affordable apartment or stay with a friend for a bit

If it truly is bad, do what needs done to get out. I'm sick of people treating their significant other like crap. Find someone who makes you happy. Best of luck op. :)

I'm sick of people who let their SO treat them like crap, usually for reasons like this one. If it's that bad any option would be better. I'd rather stay with my parents or a friend until I find a crappy apartment I can afford than stay with someone who treats me badly. OP, pack your stuff while he's out, leave him half the deposit for breaking your end of the lease, and sleep on a couch until you find a cheaper place. But only if he deserves that kind of extreme punishment, like he's abusive. Otherwise just talk to him.

You could start looking for a roommate and not tell him then when you find one boot him out (kinda gently though since you're throwing him on the curb)

Ari1337 15

he pays half the rent, she can't just kick him out like that.

It depends on if he is on the lease or not. If the lease is in just her name she can kick him out.

That happened to me. I ended up pregnant then married. Now divorced. Sometimes I think a shelter may have been a better option.

This is one of the reasons that the thought of living with a boyfriend future scares me a little. Things can get complicated :s

If he's abusive, he needs to go NOW. Try looking for a good roommate to help with your rent.

monnanon 13

nothing ever said he was abusive. they have grown apart that is all but that doesnt make it any easier to leave.

I know the feeling OP. Get a friend to move in with you. That's what I did.

perdix 29

You should stick it out for another 20 or 30 years. It beats working two jobs and gives you the sense of what married people go through.