By Anonymous - 13/12/2016 13:27 - United States - Mountain View

Today, I punished my new dog for taking a shit inside by putting him in the kennel. He punished me by breaking out of the kennel and destroying everything in my house. Including Christmas presents. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 222
You deserved it 3 367

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should never use kennel as punishment. Next time you want to put your dog there because you have guests or small kids over then your dog thinks you are punishing it. When you have a new dog you can only say no just as your catch it doing its business. If not it won't know why you punish it. YDI for not reading up on how to train dogs.

Comments

Along with not using the kennel as punishment, praise the dog for going outside. Yes, that means standing outside telling him he's a good boy WHILE he pees/poops. The more direct the praise, the better. Makes it easier for them to make the connection between behavior and consequence.

pussy_crusher 7

My dog has been house trained since he was 10 weeks old. I took him outside every 2 hours even in the middle of the night, gave him tons of praise and his favorite treat every time he went potty outside, and took him outside immediately after if he had an accident. It's a lot of work, but that's what training is. Dogs don't have accidents to upset us, and we have to show them what to do, rather than punish them for what they did. If you're willing to put in the time and effort, you will be rewarded with a well behaved and happy dog!

you are an idiot and should not have a dog. you do not use the crate as punishment. if he goes potty in the house you take him out.

you should not have a dog. if the dog went potty inside you take it outside and show it where to go. you don't punish it by putting it in a kennel. ydi