By -_- - 15/03/2016 01:46 - United States - Inverness

Today, I made an attempt to be nicer to customers at my job as instructed, which resulted in me listening to a handful of elderly people's incontinence issues, and a meth-addict's multiple abortions in detail. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 752
You deserved it 1 792

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It depends on where you work. As a physiotherapist working in a mental health unit, that's my bread and butter listening to incontinence issues and some other weird stories. However, good on you for listening. They feel appreciated and wanted just being listened to.

I'm going to guess you work in a pharmacy? People always assume that Associates have the expertise of the Pharmacist, and that the Pharm is a doctor. I feel for you.

Comments

Mathalamus 24

In customer service, yeah, but everywhere else, being nice does get you somewhere.

But then the universe has to be a jackass. But at least OP gave people someone to talk to, even if he didn't like it. Lots of people have no one to talk to and cherish the times they get to talk to someone about how they feel.

I realize that listening to a stranger's troubles is not the most fun thing to do, but try to be a little compassionate. There's a good chance that those people have no one else to talk to or who will listen to them. What took a few minutes of your time (time for which you got paid) could have been the highlight of their day. They only want someone to listen. Be grateful that you aren't old yet and even more grateful that you aren't addicted to such a destructive drug. It doesn't cost anything to be kind to ones that are worse off than you.

Redgy22 26

Then be prepared to be yelled at by the next person in line for taking too long with another customer...can't win.

atomicxsarah 17

Sounds like you work in retail. This is the kind of stuff I have to listen to everyday. Sorry!

Britt125 16

I don't know where you work, but when I had this kind of situation at my last job, I'd just tell them something like "I'm sorry but I need to move on to the next customer/ I need to go see if those people over there need help/ I have another task I have to move on to" and wrap up the conversation. Being nice doesn't mean having to listen to all that. If you work in an industry that offers some kind of care to people though, that's probably kind of part of the job to do that for people. If it's really dragging too much you can still say you need to go look after somebody else, but putting up with a bit of that is probably just part of the job.

You could become a nurse, that's what we do every day! :)

ImAFatRat 4

Pennsatucky from Orange is the New Black?

nameisname 12

Plot twist he works at a suicide hotline

It's a fine art learning how to be nice without coming off as wanting to be a friend. But some people are just over-sharers

I hate filthy meth addicts that kill kids