Rollin'

By Anonymous - 01/09/2016 03:40 - United States - San Jose

Today, I was driving home when a guy crashes into me from behind. I get out of my car and tell him that I'm going to call the cops. He then asks me if we can move to a corner because we're blocking the way, so then get back in to move. I look in the mirror to see him driving off. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 938
You deserved it 4 693

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Never move a car for an accident. Something simple as that can make you at fault.

Not in Texas. If you can drive your vehicle you better move it or you'll be fined for impeding traffic. And you could've always followed him.

Comments

Never move a car for an accident. Something simple as that can make you at fault.

My brother was in a car accident and didn't move his car but when the cops got there they told him he was supposed to cause the car wasn't damaged enough to have it stay there and he's in the way of traffic.

poolenchantress 5

Wrong. In some states, if you don't move a car that is not fully disabled, you can be ticketed for blocking traffic.

tinytyler 12

In my state, if you're blocking traffic and you can drive the car you're expected to move it out of the way

There are specific signs in my state that say "For accidents without injury, please move able cars to the shoulder,". It really just depends where you are- I'm not sure how moving from the flow of traffic would put you at fault anyways.

It's not the moving itself, I don't think. I think they just meant if you move the car, they can't study the accident as easily so it's MORE likely that anyone could be found at fault if anyone isn't being cooperative or if anyone is dishonest.

Go back to driver's ed. If it is possible to do so safely, ALWAYS move accidents out of the way of traffic

Not in California, either. If you are involved in a minor traffic collision, and the cars are still drivable, you are supposed to move them to a safe spot and then deal with it. Always a good idea to take pictures of the license plate and damage before moving them, though.

JustStella 28

I'm probably wrong, but I thought you were never supposed to move the cars when getting to an accident, until after the cops arrive.

I'm sure the laws about this are different in every country, but where I'm from if the accident has no injuries or casualties (i.e. only car/property damage) you're supposed to try and get it out of the way so you don't block traffic. If there's an injury, don't touch them.

I'm sure the laws about this are different in every country, but where I'm from if the accident has no injuries or casualties (i.e. only car/property damage) you're supposed to try and get it out of the way so you don't block traffic. If there's an injury, don't touch them.

That's generally the same in most US States.

JustStella 28

Thanks, NeatNit! That makes sense, and I can see that being the case in the US.

MashaV 6

Well I don't know about the whole of U.S. or other countries, but in PA on highways there are signs that say "if no injury move vehicles from travel lanes". If others are going really fast and then there's your car blocking the lane, that could cause a pile-up. I once almost crashed into an 18-wheeler which was standing still in the right lane on a 70 mph highway.. it was scary cause i didn't see it behind other cars.

Not in Texas. If you can drive your vehicle you better move it or you'll be fined for impeding traffic. And you could've always followed him.

This is true. And it drives me crazy how many idiot drivers in this state leave their vehicle in place instead of moving it out of the way. If you're that concerned about evidence of fault, take a quick picture of the position of the vehicles and then MOVE.

same in CA. If you can move your vehicle to the shoulder of the road then you're supposed to get out of the way

zeffra13 31

I'm guessing the other driver drove off in a different direction than OP was going, & there was either too much traffic to make a U turn or OP was too surprised to react fast enough.

What part of Texas is this? Every accident I see is smack dab in the middle of the road and the cops take up an extra lane as well, compressing traffic all into one lane.

Is some states you must move fender benders from lanes of travel

nesteremily 31

Hopefully they'll be able to find the guy. If not your insurance should still cover it if you have a good one!

Never move your car until the police arrive. YDI.

you must have not read the other comments, huh?

oooh thats alot of dislikes good job saying something so bad 50 people hate you now

That's an… interesting choice of username. Were you too lazy to make an outright pun about getting rear-ended by a guy?

Dashcams are useless if you're being hit from behind....

I'm sure you'd be able to notice the violent rocking caused by being rear ended on a video camera. That coupled with the fact that the car is stopped makes it pretty obvious they were rear ended.

Edit: the post doesn't say op was stopped but nonetheless the damage is to the back of ops car

They do make dashcam setups with rear facing cameras too ya know

Lesson learned: the first thing you do in such a situation is take pictures and take note of the license plate.

the voice of reason. I woulda taken a pic of the guy and his car with plates.

1: never should've agreed to move your car 2: should've taken a pic of his license plate