By babylove - 11/04/2014 21:58 - South Africa

Today, I'm in the process of adopting a child. When I called my mom to tell her the news, she just said, "Oh honey, don't adopt, it's the worst decision you'll ever make." I'm adopted. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 170
You deserved it 3 359

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awww that sucks OP. Don't listen to her! I'm sure that you will be a great adoptive parent and good luck!

Who cares what she thinks. There's a child that needs love and you'll do a phenomenal job OP

Comments

She probably didn't mean that you were a mistake, but that she'd rather you have children yourself. Follow your heart, OP. Good luck.

Maybe she meant to say it differently??? But seriously adopting a child is amazing. You're caring for and giving a home to a child who needs it. Good for you!

Guys, he's just a troll. He's looking for your reactions. Ignore him.

I'm sorry op, adoption is beautiful and you're saving a needy child's life in the process. Nothing bad about that. Keep your head up!

Ouch I am sorry OP. But I never would call anyone's mother names. All that time and effort raising you..

beanthemouse 13

It is very sweet that you are adopting, only 1% of orphans are adopted, and in my opinion it is better than having your own (they need parents more than sperm and eggs do anyway). Don't listen to her, you will be a great parent. It will be hard but I reckon worth it.

Because orphans don't come from sperm and eggs...

FranklySpeaking 11

@25, what's detrimental about having a kid with your DNA? Having a child from your body is just as rewarding and hard as adopting a child from a facility. I'm not being a douche here, but please explain why adopting is better than having a child.

beanthemouse 13

2 kids are born every second. Do we really need that many more? Kids are in foster homes, waiting to be loved, only to most of the time grow up without a family or friends. That can lead to problems. Why should we care so much about blood? Isn't making sad children happy more important? How would you like it if you had no family? I mean, if someone wants their own that is fine with me, their choice, but that is why I think adopting is better. Of course like anyone cares about orphans...

CaroAurelia 12

I don't think either one is "better" (although adoption is certainly better for ME), but I do think more people need to adopt, even if they also have biological children. It does take more than sperm and egg to parent a child, but what it does take can be provided by adoptive or biological parents.

CaroAurelia 12

I personally plan on ONLY adopting (because, among other reasons, I'm scared of childbirth), but I was raised by my biological parents, and I don't see a problem with having biological kids. However, there are a lot of kids who need adopting. (I say, why not do both?)

What ... you are a doctor ? (for those who have watched the television premier "curb your enthusiasm" ) good luck OP, that's good karma