By aireeahna - 09/06/2014 02:42 - United States - Cedar Rapids

Today, I'm 5 weeks pregnant and just found out that my boyfriend has such a phobia of holding babies, that he's going to be the one most in need of a diaper change when I give birth. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 843
You deserved it 6 824

aireeahna tells us more.

Op here. So to start off I have been with my boyfriend for almost 5 years. The issue never really came up over the years because we were never really around babies, he is really good with children so I just assumed that he was good with babies as well. When it did come up we were at his little brother's graduation party. I was holding a cousins newborn baby and asked him to hold him so that I could go to the bathroom but instead of taking the baby he backed away from me almost stumbling over his own feet because he was in such a hurry to get out of the situation. I asked his mother what his problem was and she just said that he has always been scared to hold babies since his brother was born. I have yet to tell him that we are expecting because our 5 year anniversary is at the end of this month and I wanted to tell him while we're on vacation. The baby is obviously unplanned but I don't regret getting pregnant and I'm sure that my boyfriend will be just as happy as I am with the news. The only other person who knows right now is my best friend who is due in September and she is going to let him practice hold the baby so that he'll be more comfortable but until then I think we'll stick to dolls and toddlers :p

Top comments

markcallanan_ 20

Maybe he's scared of dropping it on accident..?

Comments

YDI for letting yourself get knocked-up before first finding out of your boyfriend would be a good father to your kids.

Larliet 3

That is a total lie, why make a baby then ;p

Op here. So to start off I have been with my boyfriend for almost 5 years. The issue never really came up over the years because we were never really around babies, he is really good with children so I just assumed that he was good with babies as well. When it did come up we were at his little brother's graduation party. I was holding a cousins newborn baby and asked him to hold him so that I could go to the bathroom but instead of taking the baby he backed away from me almost stumbling over his own feet because he was in such a hurry to get out of the situation. I asked his mother what his problem was and she just said that he has always been scared to hold babies since his brother was born. I have yet to tell him that we are expecting because our 5 year anniversary is at the end of this month and I wanted to tell him while we're on vacation. The baby is obviously unplanned but I don't regret getting pregnant and I'm sure that my boyfriend will be just as happy as I am with the news. The only other person who knows right now is my best friend who is due in September and she is going to let him practice hold the baby so that he'll be more comfortable but until then I think we'll stick to dolls and toddlers :p

rocker_chick23 27

My husband was the same way before our son was born. Watch out, when your child is born your boyfriend will be hogging him or her from you. :)

Don't worry Op, I was the same way with my first born, until about 45 minutes after he was born. After that all I wanted to do was hold him. As a guy I can say, babies scare us, we don't fully understand how durable they actually are, but yet so fragile at the same time. Also I'm sure he'll be just excited as you after 5 years of being together. And congrats on the 5 year mark! :)

oh man, I had to reread the FML. I thought it said you were 5 MONTHS pregnant, then when I read that you hadn't told him yet, I was a bit concerned, lol

TheInvizible 4

My grandpa was always terrified of holding babies. He was afraid he would drop them.

Congratulations on both 5 years and the pregnancy. I can't help thinking he'd want to know when you do to share it for as long as possible? I would! Though I'm female, so it's unlikely I'd not know first (although, scrubs...).

Evil_Wench 16

Am I the only one that thinks this is NOT cool? An unplanned pregnancy is not something you should hide from your partner, regardless of whether you think he'll be happy about it.

WD_Stevens 22

122, loving the Scrubs reference! (what a beautiful episode that one was)

123, I agree with you, but she isn't hiding it, she's just waiting to surprise him with the news. If she was waiting for MONTHS to "surprise" him, then I would agree that that isn't okay. But she believes he'll be happy about the pregnancy, and just wants to pop the news in a special way :)

The problem with this surprise, 127, is that OP is making a huge assumption about her boyfriend's reaction. He may not be as thrilled with the news as she assumes, in which case it's best for him, and her, to know as soon as possible so they can figure out a plan if he feels that a child would be a burden rather than a blessing. Just because he's good with other people's kids doesn't mean he wants one of his own, though I certainly hope for OP's sake that he does!

How about you NOT telling him while on holiday??? That's a bad idea all around, it's not like you were planning on having a baby and you are suprising him with it finally happening. No! This is an accidental baby, you probably had your freak-out about maybe being pregnant and then the insecurity about wanting the baby, being able to take care of the baby, ... followed by acceptance. You had your chance at dealing with your unexpected pregnancy. Give him the same decency. This is DEFENITLY not going to be good news the first day you tell him if you guys weren't planning on having a baby. Maybe he's going to be glad with it, but only after he had time to think about it and have his freak-out. DO NOT think he will be instantly happy, he might even find it horrible after he had time to think about it. So why not doing it while on holiday? Because you 2 will be locked together into close quarters. He will have his freak-out (no doubt about it), you will be dissepointed about his freak-out because you are happy about this baby and he is supposed to be instantly happy aswell (even though you weren't instantly happy either). He will not be able to seclude himself to get over this shocking news, to prepare him with information, to think about it and to eventually accept it. No, you will be around and you will try to force him into happiness, offcourse you will because you are happy about this baby and as soon as he gets his freak-out (100% normal and 100% to be expected with unexpected pregnancies), you will start freaking out about him maybe abandonning you. No, bad idea, no. Tell him after the holidays and afterwards leave him alone if he needs the time alone. You only had to tell people about the baby as soon as you were ready to have it. Give him the same decency to be able to think about becoming a father without getting bombarded with questions and demands from you and/or your family if you are thinking about informing them soon aswell. And... him having a freak-out does NOT!!! mean he will not like this baby. It does NOT!!! mean he's more likely to abandon you. It does NOT!!! mean he's not ok with being a father. Having a freak-out is a normal response to having an unexpected pregnancy and I'm only repeating it over and over again because I'm under the impression that you think he will be instantly happy, wich he OFFCOURSE will not be.

braidedsilver 8

Oh god. Do not tell him while on vacation.

#138 I don't understand why so many people are thumbing you down. I totally agree with you. You bring up some very good points. It was my first thoughts exactly. I understand why she would want to surprise him on vacation, but you are completely right. He is going to need time to process and maybe go out for a night with his guy friends and talk it over with them and have them reassure him and give him a pep talk.

hopefully the parental instincts will kick in when the baby comes :D that's usually what happens

138 I think you need to calm down. this is fml no need to write an essay

She's not hiding it. She's trying to set a mood for telling him. Good place, good news... And hopes of the best reaction. Get it?

He's scared of holding babies. I have a feeling he wasn't so happy when she told him. Not to mention op's follow up makes it sound like she got pregnant on purpose

Congratulations :) My husband was terrified of everything that had to do with babies. He thought he couldn't hold them, couldn't change diapers, etc. But when we actually had our babies (twins!), he was wonderful. There's a huge difference between someone else's baby who you don't want to be responsible for and YOUR baby who you are undeniably responsible for. To be perfectly honest, I hate holding other people's babies myself. It makes me nervous. They're so little and fragile, I just feel a little queasy when I'm responsible for them. But I never felt that way once about my own. With my own, I loved those lil people so much that I knew I was the best person to be holding them (heck, I felt a little nervous when OTHER people held them :)).

jr_mtz01 7

thats why you shouldnt have a baby with a BOYfriend... smh

Oh, go unknot your knickers >.>

Having a phobia doesn't make him any less of a man. He just needs to practice and overcome his fear little steps at a time like the follow-up above said.

rocker_chick23 27

#125: Many couples are boyfriend/girlfriend when they have kids. My brother and his girlfriend have a 2 year old and a 5 year old and they have been together for 8 years. They never want to get married.

Who else is she going to have biological babies with? Certainly not a girlfriend... No need to enunciate the boy in that. Sheesh.

Congratulations! Give him some time - they usually come around.

Your reply to him should be "Cool story, bro!"

prisco 5

Idk why some people are being so hard on him. I'm exactly the same way. Im great with kids but I'm deathly afraid to hold babies because I'm scared I'll hurt them since I'm such a clutz. But when I've been in situations where I'm forced to hold them I'm more protective than their own parents are and I was sad when I had to give them back. I'm sure your boyfriends paternal instincts will kick in and he'll be a great dad and I wish you both the best of luck