By jeremiah - 06/11/2011 08:21 - Australia

Today, I let my brother borrow my car, as he had a job interview. I told him the tank was nearly empty and gave him $20 to put some petrol in it. Ten minutes later, he calls me, saying the car won't start. He filled it up with diesel. It's a petrol car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 750
You deserved it 4 625

Same thing different taste

Top comments

No tell the garage the truth and make the brother pay for it

Comments

Wtf who uses petrol??? What kind of cars use it....I'm confused??!!

I'm sorry but you're really dumb. Petrol=gas. Most cars use it.

guckylynn 19

Welcome to the world where not everyone is from the United States.

As an American, I'm embarrassed by comments like 11's. "Gas" is just a nickname for the fuel, its real name is petroleum. Other countries thus call it "petrol" for short. Way to show your ignorance.

Petrol is another word for "Gasoline". Gasoline is also Petroleum-derived and Op is in Australia who doesn't use the term, "Gasoline".

It's idiotic, people from other countries understand when Americans say gas, so ot can't be too difficult for them to recognise that the word petrol means gas.

Kristoffer 35

Actually #42, petroleum is crude oil. Petrol (gasoline) is a refined petroleum product, as is diesel, motor oil, and many other things such as plastics.

Stop thumbing up 42. His comment is as stupid as 11's. Gas slang for gasoline, which is the correct term. Gasoline also can be called petrol, which is not short for petroleum. Gasoline or petrol is refined from petroleum, but so are many other things.

I'm an American, and even I knew gas was petroleum. In the words of Eddie Izzard, "Do you even know there are other countries?"

I live in the united states and over here we say "gas" not petrol so maybe people should chill out. Not everyone talks the same. The person ain't a dumbass for not knowing y'all call it "petrol".

Probably would have done the same thing... can't blame the kid, sounds the same to me

You just said "I'm a moron" to the Internet.

Hopefully you have great insurance and an awesome warranty because that is going to be a huge ordeal!! My dad went to pick up his diesel from the shop and the mechanic actually put regular in it!! Took them 6 days to clean the engine & fuel lines! So sorry OP!

ikickgingers 15

Just siphon the gas tank. You might have to get it flushed... At least when I let my friend use my car it was a quick fix. Annoying as shht... Inconvenient.... But quick. I drive a Nissan not a diesel truck though...

Lol, I have 2 bumper stickers on my truck, 1st reads; Pissin-on-a Nissan, the other says, Eating Chevys Shittin fords. Dodge rules. ;p Oh and Op you should smack your brother cause I'm guessing hes illiterate to because every vehicle I've had, the little gas door or the gas cap says to use only a certain type of fuel.

ikickgingers 15

94 - "I'm a doctor, not a mechanic"... And the apr was next to nothing. I don't have a dick... My car needs to be pretty and efficient... I don't care if it has balls of fire or goes blah blah to blah blah in 15 flat.

127 I know quite a bit about cars including foreign ones, as to why I didn't mention them, cause they all suck.

FYLDeep 25

In reality petrol is simply short for petroleum which gasoline and diesel are both derived from. I know it's a regional thing but it really isn't very specific. Either way, if you live in an area where the word petrol is used, you damn well better know what it means.

There is no excuse for ******* up like that in Australia! All Aussies know what petrol is. They could potentially mix unleaded with super, but either of them with diesel.....have to be talented to do that.

Moreover, in nearly every new or even remotely new car I've come across, the hole where you stick the nozzle is specially made a certain size and the nozzle on diesel pumps is larger so that it won't fit the hole. Therefore your brother had to have tried to force the nozzle in or something.

unquale 1

The nice thing about the US. The nozzle for diesel is larger then the one for gas, so you can't accidentally put diesel in a gas vehicle.

You would think that, but I work in the field, and we get a few hundred wing nuts who do this a year! Just in my eastern area.

The nice thing is that it's color coded and a different handle type. They have the exact same size nozzle. At least in all of southern Cali where I've been filling diesel and gas the last 11 years that I've been driving for...

Actually at the station I work the handle has 2 sizes. Try fitting the big one in a vw bug... Doesn't work that way

thiscrazything 1

Green is usually diesel, but some stations switch it up, to keep you on your toes. The nozzle size for diesel can be large ( for trucks) or small for cars. People just need to pay attention.

I wonder who's picking up the cost to drain the tank and fix it

And drain the tubes and clean out the motor.

What an idiot. Make him pay you the $20 back and slap him upside the head.. And never let him drive your car again!

What about OP's car? I don't think I'd be satisfied with just a slap on the wrist. I'd want some goddamn money.

The damage to the car will be way more significant than just 20 bucks

Hope you all know that he just ruined your engine!!! Sorry

It can be fixed. Probably expensive though.

cj7jeep 1

39. Im a mechanic. It didn't ruin the engine. And it will still run (like shit) on diesel once the engine is warmed up. It won't be too tough to flush out the lines either

FYLDeep 25

Is that an achievable thing to heat the engine up enough to run the diesel through the lines, or would it be better to flush everything and start fresh? I believe diesel engines run at much higher compression ratios so you would somehow have to simulate that just to get it to start (At least in my understanding). I'm not saying that it can't be done though. I'm no mechanic.

cj7jeep 1

138. Yeah it would probably be hot enough to run on diesel just from the drive to the station...diesel is a high compression fuel, so the petroleum engine couldn't burn it properly...but since diesel is still flammable, (it burns very slowly if lit on fire..a lot like carosen) the heat from the cylinders will be able to burn it enough to power the car...it just wouldn't run very well at all, and would emit a lot of black smoke. Even though it would be smarter to just flush it out, it would still work till you burned all the diesel out naturally..either way..fyl op...your brothers not too smart

FYLDeep 25

I wasn't thinking that way. I was assuming that you would be draining the tank, but not clearing out the lines or the engine. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to try to burn an entire tanks worth of diesel fuel.

cj7jeep 1

Lol it really isn't too great of an idea...I was just clearing up the fact that it will work :P

As far as I know, you can't put regular gas in a diesel. That would F it up. But you can put diesel in a gas car. It will smoke more, run like shit. But it will run! And it shouldn't damage the car. How I know? Been there done that!