By MommyLovesMe - 08/03/2011 15:21 - United States

Today, I learned why my credit score is so low. My mom stole my identity almost three years ago. Her excuse? "You didn't need good credit for anything anyways". FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 700
You deserved it 3 345

Same thing different taste

Top comments

wow.....what a bitch. Turn her in, you need good credit these days!!!

You know that you're on the hook to repay the debts your Mom ran up under your name, don't you? Even if you aren't sued for repayment and/or choose not to pay off the debts, your credit will be trashed for 10 years. This will affect nearly everything you need/want: college loans, apartment rental, car loan, mortgage, JOB (many employers check credit before deciding to hire). The only way to restore your good credit it is to file an identity theft report with the police, then go about cleaning up the mess your Mom left you.

Comments

mariet_fml 23

Turn her in immediately! She has no remorse, which means she's probably been using it on garbage. Forget about her.

karinah_fml 0

email Jerry springer. somehow he'll solve it

Your choices are to have your life ruined for many years to come, or to report your mother. She'll survive the legal proceedings, probably get probation and a fine. She has to take responsibility for her actions. Think of it as Karma for all the times she punished you. Send a letter to all the credit score agencies explaining what happened. That way, whatever doesn't get fixed when you get what your mom did reversed will be covered by your letter, helping to mitigate those negative hits whenever someone runs your credit. If your thinking of not turning her in, remember, your interest rate for ALL loans and credit cards are based on your score. You could have loans upwards of 15% higher. As an example, a $1,000 debt, left unpaid with 1% interest will total $1,816.70 after 5 years. If the interest was just 4 percent higher (at 5%), the interest will make the total $12,667.14 at the end of the same 5 year period. A $10,000 used car would cost you as much as a new BMW at the end of a 5 year loan. And don't even think about the extras on a mortgage.

rallets 22

shouldnt they be thinking about the extras on a mortgage? o_O

janise 2

How did you get those figures? By my math a $1000 loan at 1% interest would be about $1051 total ($51 interest) after 5 years assuming interest was compounded annually.

The $1816 figure works out at 1% per month, not per year. The other figure I can't reverse engineer.

Interest rates are per year, not per month or whatever calculations you're using.

Prankster7o7 5

Either way, interest still sucks.

#45 - credit card interest is done per month.

AsianCookie247 14

Worst mom ever, she doesn't seem to care about your future so why should u care about hers, the OP needs to report her...

catkat1988 17

When a parent is willing to compromise a child's economical credibility before the child has had any chance to do that for himself or herself, I seriously suggest taking legal actions against the parent. The relationship is obviously already going to suffer, the parent saw to that, and I wouldn't protect someone who violated the law that severely against me - especially if it's the only way I could clear my own name. I'm surprised by the number of parents at FML who appear to think that stealing from your children is acceptable - ranging from cash for lunch or gas to an entire identity for bank credit over a decade or more.

I don't see a damn thing "acceptable" about that mother's actions.

ulicksam 0

If she was wrong, and you DO need good credit, it wouldn't have taken you 3 years to find out. She's a thief, but she wasn't incorrect.

It's very possible that OP just became old enough to need to use and/or worry about credit. I've heard of people being caught using their 2 and 3 year old kids' identities for credit. For a parent low enough to do it, it's easy enough. They have easy access to a free and clear social security number.

You have a pretty big decision to make. Either you turn your mom into the police and follow through with all the necessary actions or let her off the hook and deal with the hell you are about to face when you need anything of value that involves credit checks and debt.

roaminginsomniac 0

Sue her. What she did is illegal.

If I were in your shoes, mad would not be a strong enough word to describe what I feel. I would usually wouldn't suggest distancing yourself with your parent (as I one of mine not a long time ago), but in this case, I think you should take legal action, and then get as far away from her as possible. I mean, if she's willing to do something like this to you, imagine what else she could do that would ruin your life! Of course, I have no idea how your life is or the relationship you have with your mom, so if this all irelevant, then sorry lol.