By Username - 06/06/2011 03:29 - United States

Today, I just bought a car with all of my own money. Then, when I brought it home my dad informed me that my mom will be driving it to work every day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 699
You deserved it 4 107

Same thing different taste

Top comments

redmnky21 8

you tell your dad no she wont... its your car u bought it with ur money... unless she's going to make the insurance payments on it for u and full cover it so if she wrecks it she replaces it

Midnite_2raw 5

If you want to get even report it stolen.

Comments

ADub55 0

that sucks...if that happened to me i wouldnt let her touch my car just because she assumed that she would drive it everyday

Tell them no. If the car is in your name, report it stolen when your mom drives off in it.

man I go with another post, if your old enough, organize a flat with mates.. punch your dad in the face and get out while you still can. I got a mate that rents his own place but still lives at home... he's a lost ****.

birds_fml 7

LOL @ all the people saying OMG IT'S YOUR CAR OP DON'T LET HER I wonder... what car was the OP driving to get to his job, before he had the money to buy his own? What car was the OP driving to get to school? Whose house is the OP living in, rent free? I bet you the answer to all of these is HIS PARENTS'. You see OP, when you become an adult, you'll realize that sometimes families have to work together for the good of all. You having a car will help your mom get to work, which means she can continue to pay the bills. Oh, it's still your car, and when you are finally solvent enough to afford your own place, you'll take it with you. But as long as they are paying for your food, your shelter, your clothing, your LIFE, you should be happy to let your mom borrow your car. That's what family is about. Grow up.

raiderh808 0

If op is young and paying for his own insurance, there is probably a stipulation claiming only he can drive his car for him to have the policy. The insurance probably won't stand if anyone but he is driving. it. The mom gets pulled over for speeding, then gets arrested for driving uninsured. Sound fun?

how do you know they are paying for OP's food, clothing and shelter? If OP pays rent he is paying for his own shelter at the very least depending on what is included in his rent. My lodgers rent covers accommodation and all the bills. He then buys his own food and clothes. My partner does exactly the same and he lives at home with his parents still.

birds_fml 7

Legally, the OP is SUPPOSED to list all driving adults within the household, so his mother should already be on his policy. Even if the OP never drove his parents' car, you can be sure that his parents are paying a high rate for having a teenaged driver in the house. Furthermore, his mom wouldn't get arrested for driving uninsured, because for one thing, you don't get arrested for driving without insurance... you get a civil citation. And for another, even if she were pulled over for speeding, and what you claim were true, insurance papers don't list the adults covered under that policy, so the cop wouldn't know anyways.

#47 who says that Op ever used his parent's vehicle to get to work or to school. Op could have ridden the bus or car pooled and not used their car. Op could pay rent to his (assuming this is a he and not a she) parents, not just be living there rent free. There are a million and a half reasons for the living situation the Op has with his parents and why his mom would need to use the car, unfortunately for you I don't have the space to list every senario possible. So let's go with the situation explained and agree that the parents had no right to tell Op that they would be using the item that Op purchased with his own money to use for himself even if you assume that the Op has used their car to get to school and work and is livingn under their roof rent free, which can be disputed by that fact that Op's mom needs to use Op's car to get to work everyday would mean Op's parent's have 1 or 0 cars.

birds_fml 7

The OP has not been paying rent since birth till the age they were able to get a job. In that time, the OP's every need was met by his parents. Regardless of whether the OP is or is not paying rent right now, he/she is benefiting from his parents, and is still a member of the family. If the OP is so solvent as to be able to pay fair rent, food, etc etc, then the OP is free to move out. But the entire mentality behind this post is the childish "That's MINE you can't use it! Even to get to your job, it's MINE and you can't touch it!"

If his parents didn't want to look after him they wouldn't have had him. Birth to 18 care is repaid when the parents are too old to care for themselves, that's how it works. They raise you through your childhood you care for them through their second childhood.

thebestof1984 0

That is a parents responsibility until the child is old enough to fend for themselves. I would NEVER expect to get something back from my child because I was doing MY job. People like you suck! Now onto another note.... Car insurances have different laws in every state or country. Here in Massachusetts I can't let anyone drive my car unless they are on my policy but in New Hampshire I can drive my grandmothers car if she gave me permission.

birds_fml 7

Sounds to me like they need their child's help right now, since the mother is needing the OP's car to get to work. Yes, they did raise him. And yes, children should look after their parents as repayment. And now's the time to stop bitching at let your mom use your car.

DizzyDaydreams 1

Okay, so he buys a car using his own savings and you tell him "Oh you should be happy to lend your mom transportation". Wtf.

oh and the whole thing about insurance.. That depends where you live OP has only stated they live in America, not the state. I live in the UK and I know laws vary from state to state.

Asking and telling are two very different things. The mum asking if she could borrow the car is very different to the dad telling OP to give his mum the car.

birds_fml 7

You know, I used to be like the OP, not that long ago actually. I don't have any kids of my own yet, I'm still pretty young. I could not WAIT to move out! My parents were always expecting things of me... like me to use my own car to take my grandma to the doctor, expecting me to clean my room, do chores, and this and that, and generally help the family out. My reasoning was, I was in high school like it was a full time job, and if I actually had a full time job, I would make enough to pay rent and such, and so I shouldn't be expected to pitch in, since it was THEIR choice to have me after all. So I moved out when I was 19. And I went without food for a week, because I greatly underestimated how much it costs to live. Then I cried to my parents about how hungry I was, and they gave me food, because THAT'S WHAT FAMILIES DO. I was an independent adult, and they still helped me out. They even let me use their car when mine was broken down, even though I was no longer living with them, and no longer on their insurance. I'm better off now, and now I really see the realities of what being a family means, and that being a dependent child does not mean you can just take and take and take and never give back. She needs to use your car to get to her job. If it really bothers you that much, sell the car, and then you'll have all that money to yourself. But if she really needs to use your car that badly, then your family is probably much poorer than you think, and you'd do well to either help out or get out.

I had very little help from my parents because they wanted me to be as independent as possible. I know they would always help me out if I needed it but only if it was an emergency. I moved out at 19 and had bought my own house by the age of 22 without their help. They never expect anything back from me because, as an adult, they never gave me anything. What they do for you as a child is a given, I didn't ask to be born so why should I have to pay them back for something I never asked for? They chose to have me so they should look after me until I can look after myself!

Yeah your parents helped you out because they love you and they birthed you. A parent doesn't reproduced so that their child will owe them because they gave him life. The parents decided to have a child and with that they decided to shoulder all the responsibilities that come with having a child.

If I decided to have a child right now it would be extremely stupid because I know my.finances and that I couldn't afford one. My fiance and I moved out when I turned 17 because that is the legal age in TX to move out without parental consent. Just because you decided to move out, birds, before you

decided to move out, birds, before you were financially able doesn't mean we're all that dumb. The OP worked for the Monet for the car. If the mom needs to use it for work the parents should ask the OP to borrow it, not demand it. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't let her borrow it when he doesn't

decided to move out, birds, before you were financially able doesn't mean we're all that dumb. The OP worked for the Monet for the car. If the mom needs to use it for work the parents should ask the OP to borrow it, not demand it. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't let her borrow it when he doesn't ne

and because you want to. You don't have to. That is the difference between the demand the OP was given and the inquiry the OP's dad should've asked.

nothing to add at this, because is 300% right. All the people who said take it or say **** you are just spoiled and stupid 20 years old american who still leave with parents. before paying a car, find a place, pay your bills and see what is life!

Since OP's mom decided that she wants to drive OP's car to work, that makes me assume that they never had a car, and that she could probably get to work without one (or else how was she working before OP bought their car?).

Uh, are you serious? The entire mentality behind the post is "I saved and worked and spent my hard earned money on a car for my dad to tell me that I have no choice in what I do with it and I have to let my mom use it to get to work" ...about the lack of choice pressed upon OP for something major (a car) that is rightfully his. I bet OP's mother could have just asked "hey, do you mind if I drive your car to work?" and I bet OP would have gladly let her.

No. You get a car BEFORE you move out, to get experience driving, and to make getting a job and going to school, getting a place and paying your bills easier / possible. Kinda hard to do when your parents take it from you like Nazi's

mad_hatter0666 22

let's try this on for size. I'm a 23 year old American and I am married and I have a kid. it was my choice to have my child. when he is old enough to buy his own car and actually manages to save this money on his own, do you honestly believe that I would have the audacity to DEMAND that he give me or let me use his car? No. It is my responsibility as the parent to lead by example and politely ask if I can use it. Yes, we could be in a tight situation where we are in need of using a second car, but I have NO right to make demands.He was responsible enough to save up that money on his own. if I want to use it I have to act like an ADULT and ask. also if I knew this would be an everyday thing, you better believe I would be helping out with insurance AND gas. It's called being responsible. So OP has EVERY right to be upset. In this country we have rights, it doesn't matter how old you are, NOBODY has the right to tell you to do something. parents ARE NOT the exception.

Well thank you #190 a parent who agrees with us! I would see no problem if the dad asked to borrow the car once in a while or if his car was in the shop for a week. To demand use of a car that isn't theirs is ridiculous! The mum must have been getting to work somehow before OP got his car so why can't she just keep doing that?

mad_hatter0666 22

I completely agree 191... and no prob. :)

mad_hatter0666 22

so, I'm trying to figure out how what I said earlier was in any way offensive. I really would like some clarification on the definition on "offensive." According to the FML policy, comments cannot be hateful --mine wasn't--, they cannot question the validity of the story or the OP, didn't do that or use TXT language and what I said was in relation to the topic at hand. I didn't flood, spam or advertise anything... so, yeah, certainly confused.

finally someone said it!! sorry you have negative feedback. I agree with you 100%

Have you ever considered the OP lives in a different town, city, or even state? I think you would be pretty pissed if you bought a car with you own money and then you were 'informed' by your dad that you didn't even get to use it. i know I would be!

It's less a 'mine don't touch it' attitude and more a 'I just bought this with my own money, and other people are dictating what's going to be done with it, WTF' mentality.

sylverdrag_fml 9

We don't know what the situation really is. All we have is a tiny bit of information from OP, but we don't have any context, and there are many things that could easily justify her father's attitude: For example (just an example), imagine that the OP trashed her mom's car. Didn't pay for it, then shortly after bought herself a car... in this case, her dad's decision would be quite sensible. Bottom line, without the real context, you can't make a proper call on this.

I agree- more than likely ops parents raised them their whole lives so it's rude and selfish to not do something for them

If op was driving in his parents car, then why the **** would their mum need to drive their car?

Time to buy your mom/dad a life insurance.

is it really ur money? do u have tax forms to back it up? If so, kindly tell your dad to think again.

but if you let her drive you to work then you won't have to spend money on gas

Fortitudine 3

Stand up for yourself! I would assume you also pay car insurance as well, so they have no right to do that to you. Even if their name is on the title, they can't force you to do anything

actually if their name is on the title, they legally own it despite where the money came from, and they CAN force op to do whatever with the car

Heres what it think since buying a car is the first step to moving out the father was afraid of his son leaving and tried to do something to stick his son to them

birds_fml 7

Contrary to what young people think, most parents can't WAIT for their kids to get out of the house. They would love to have the house to themselves again, without having to keep an eye on an immature teenager. They want to get back to being a married couple again, with the freedom that a childless married couple has. Why would the father want an ungrateful child to stick around? It's far cheaper to the parents to get the kid out and on his own. Parents love their kids, but they'd rather have them come over for short visits. And the mother using the car to get to work doesn't mean the OP is stuck. The OP can still move out, and take the car with him. Assuming it's his own personal property, that is.

When my and my brother moved out my mum filled the house with cats because she was lonely. First Christmas after we moved out she cried all the way through and tried to get my brother too drunk to drive so he wouldn't leave. Tell me she couldn't wait for us to leave.

guckylynn 19

Umm actually birds you're very wrong. Parents don't want their children to move out. I've been living on my own for years and my parents still ask me to move back home.

true they will be like that at first then they realize that they have become accustomed to them and miss them all terribly

No. You get a car BEFORE you move out, to get experience driving, and to make getting a job and going to school, getting a place and paying your bills easier / possible. Kinda hard to do when your parents take it from you like Nazi's

doyers11 0

when ur mom is driving it, report it stolen but only if it's under ur name