By polluxdc - 10/01/2014 08:20 - United States - Portland

Today, I joked with a pregnant girl in a state juvenile correctional facility where I work that eating a lot of candy would damage the unborn baby's teeth. Without batting an eye, she responded that she would simply "eat some toothpaste after the candy." FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 111
You deserved it 7 771

polluxdc tells us more.

OP here. Yeah, I was joking, they aren't always the most sophisticated of jokes, but it gives one a sense of where the kid may or may not be coming from. The kid, unfortunately, was not joking, and I had to explain a few things to her. Thanx for the comments. For those of you who said stop joking around and do your job...it'd be a mighty dreary place if there was no humor (lame as it may or may not be). It IS a portion of our job. This post was mostly meant as a, "f" all our lives if this is what the future holds.

Comments

strawberrywine22 30
perdix 29

Unborn babies don't have teeth. Your "joke" was pretty ******* stupid in the first place.

And the obvious lack of a sense of sarcasm strikes the FML community again.

That IS the joke. Also, some babies are born with teeth. They're called natal teeth.

Dude..... I POINT OUT the sarcasm and you still ******* miss it. Holy hell are kids these days that PC?

Rainhawk94 27

How is this a fml? Non of this affects you

Seriously? You expected someone there to be intelligent?

Just because she's in there doesn't make her dumb. There's a lot of smart people in there they just make dumb decisions!

amayasoma 19

And when you make dumb decisions that land you in juvi, you are classified as dumb. Cause it takes a real big dumb decision to land in juvi.

Not always. Some kids there are actually really smart, too smart for their own good. They might get bored and look to crime. Some of the smartest people I know deal drugs because it makes a lot of money.

strawberrywine22 30

Actually, I ended up in juvie for shoving my mother on the floor after she grabbed me by the hair and threw me against the wall. So... Not always the kid's fault.

You shouldn't judge too harshly. People end up in there for all kinds of reasons. Dumb or smart, and I think it's extremely dumb of you to make accusations about someone else's life like that.

scottyspot 11

Are you sure she wasn't just countering your ridiculous statement with one of her own to "play along?"

Or trying to point out how stupid the joke sounded in the first place, yeah.

Epikouros 31

Exactly. A juvenile delinquent probably has a different, less friendly way of expressing sarcasm non-verbally than a social worker.

Indeed. So, a pregnant teen who happens to be in juvenile hall can't make a joke, but you can, OP? Give me a break.

Honestly, it was a dumb response to a dumb joke.

Those people that crave weird things like dryer sheets, soap, etc. I forgot what the term for it is.

I know the word for that but can't spell it...it's something like pica or pyca....I don't have time to look it up, but it's the reason I kept trying to swallow shampoo as a kid.

Epikouros 31

Yeah, it's called pica. The group that does this more than others is pregnant poor black women from rural areas. If you're dirt poor, eating clay might be useful as a way to get minerals.

Pica affects many different people. It doesn't matter what race or class your in. People usually get it when their younger and "grow out" of it as they age. It does affect pregnant women more than others and usually goes away. The fact that people have it because they have deficiences in vitamins and minerals isn't exactly true. Being treated for that deficiency helps the process of stopping, but not everyone that has it has a deficiency. It is not a poor persons disease.

JMichael 25