By Mightaswelltutordogs - 21/12/2014 01:16 - United States - Gainesville

Today, I had to find simple words to explain to the idiot I was tutoring that "1/4" is not of a greater value than "1/3" just because the denominator is bigger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 533
You deserved it 5 565

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, there's a reason why you're tutoring them.

iShanny 13

Those little pie pieces always helped me. Try using real pie or pizza.

Comments

well... that's kinda rude cause he/ or she didn't know what it meant and that's why you are tutoring he/ or she so she can get better at what you are tutoring her

Laurenlou 24

I tutor 11-12 year olds currently, and I also give free help to 11th graders in advanced math clasess. As long as the student is TRYING to understand, there is absolutely NO reason to believe that he or she is "an idiot," (and much less, call them an idiot.) I have found that most of the students' lack of understanding actually comes from being taught wrongly in school or never being encouraged to like or learn math. Those who want a tutor are those who try! OP, you may be smart enough to understand math, but you do not sound mature enough to handle teaching, or sociable enough to be providing a service in enchange for money. You also sound like a horrible tutor if you aren't explaining fractions with visuals like pies, pizzas, clocks, dollars and cents (one quarters is 1/4th of a dollar), or even those fraction bars that most primary schools use.

I actually read that as; he was tutoring you. Woulda been a bigger FML.

Depending on the age of the kid, words won't work too well. They can only reason with abstract ideas if there's some physical representation of the object, like many of the other comments have stated.

The bigger the number at the bottom the smaller the piece. That's how I remember it

I'm going to assume that this person is at an age where he should understand the difference between a third and a quarter which is why OP called them an idiot