By gotta love my momma - 28/08/2014 05:08 - United States - Folsom

Spicy
Today, I got married. My booze-hound mother made a toast, and told a story about how she once walked in on us having sex. My husband's family is very religious, and we told them we weren't having sex until marriage. Thanks mom. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 268
You deserved it 11 292

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well honesty should always be something we strive for, but at least you had the intention of keeping your husband's family happy.

sensoon15 7

Id just tell my husband's family that my mother has an active imagination and makes up these stories when she's drunk.

Comments

TheDrifter 23

Any wedding before the baby bump is a virgin wedding in my book. Congrats op.

perdix 29

A hypocrite marries a liar with a genetic predisposition for alcoholism, . . . stop me if you've heard this one before. Too bad they don't allow betting pools on divorces. I'd put a C-note that this one flames out within 6 months.

TheDrifter 23

I'll give it 6 years. He's got no problems with dishonesty and she's predisposed to drinking her problems into oblivion.

He's not necessarily a hypocrite. Just because his family is religious doesn't mean he ever put stock in it.

You lied, you'll have to live with the consequences of the truth coming out. No matter what the reasons for lying, that is always a possibility that one must accept. However, if the highly religious in-laws start giving you hell for it, I'm sure you'll be able to reason with them somehow. Even if you have to resort to "atoning for your sins" in a religious way. Hopefully what they'll suggest/accept something you can do as a gesture for them without any real consequences to yourself, such as confession.

Confession? You suggest that they go into confession because they had sex, a completely natural, healthy and loving thing to do? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. If there is anyone who should take this unfortunate moment as an opportunity to revalidate their own life, it are the in-laws.

I think he just suggested that they could go into confession if it could satisfy her in laws, and that it would not be a big deal for them, not that they should do it because they have sinned or whatever. That being said, I would personaly have a real hard time going into confession for anything, because of my atheism. I just understand the point he was making.

Oh he actually is a she. My apologies for that

By going into confession, they admit that they made a sinful mistake - by which I mean the sex, not the lying. Having voluntary sex with someone you love is not, nada, never a sin nor a mistake. If OP would agree with it, fine, but it sends the wrong signal ("You were right, sex is evil, we're sorry.") to the in-laws

Wow did my original point get swamped and ignored. What I meant was that if the OP cannot work it out with the in-laws with normal communication or whatever, then it might be possible for her to participate in something like confession and that might have a better chance of making them behave better towards her about what happened. I did not mean to suggest that she should regret having sex before marriage, that is personal preference for a number of different reasons. Those include religion, Djee, and some people follow it, regardless of whether or not you do.

"we weren't having sex! We were playing twister...in bed...without any clothes...and he slipped..."

captainburke 5
captainburke 5

She sounds like a lot of fun though! That's embarrassing but I'm sure one day you'll look back and laugh about it. :)

skyeyez9 24

I know a guy whose parents are ultra religious Mormons. Poor guy is almost 30, still a virgin, never had a gf and lives in his parents' basement. He has been Brainwashed by them to allow total control over his life. Wont let him date for fear of him having sex, wont let him move out until he is married. I told him he needs to disown his family, his church and go on and live his life. Nobody should have that much control over you. He is afraid to leave cause he thinks his church will excommunicate him and he will burn in Hell forever as a result. Poor guy.

Keliosan 6

FYL OP. Your mom is an ass. Regardless of being drunk being ignorant of the consequences of your actions does not absolve you from them. Also if your husband's family decides to give you shit for having premarital sex then tell them to go **** themselves. Having sex was your decision and I'm guessing it didn't hurt anyone(unless you're into some kinky stuff). Hopefully your husband isn't one of those people that is attached at the hip to their parents and gets controlled like a puppet especially if they aren't going to respect your decisions as a couple. Best of luck OP, don't let anyone bring down your big day.

Good ol booze. Helping to spill secrets for hundreds of years.