By uhmwow - 25/10/2016 00:50

Today, I got fired from my job. A coworker that strongly dislikes me convinced my boss I took a day off because I was going to a Trump rally. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 780
You deserved it 969

Same thing different taste

Top comments

airdude25 18

You shouldn't be able to be fired because of your political views... even if it was your coworker that said them. Talk to HR.

If u have a signed proof that u took the day off then u should not be fired.

Comments

And this is why I'm glad I'm union, so stupid shit like this can't happen. Sorry, OP.

"The other members of your union shop would surely demonstrate the long-held and well-documented labor union policy of free and independent political discourse and so would fully support and celebrate your taking a day off to attend a Trump rally", the thought bubble above my head does not read.

Openly support someone who is anti union and see how much they protect your political opinion

If u have a signed proof that u took the day off then u should not be fired.

cootiequeen4444 11

#44 wow. what did this Glenn person do to YOU?

That is a mean reason. Maybe ask a lawyer what they think.

airdude25 18

You shouldn't be able to be fired because of your political views... even if it was your coworker that said them. Talk to HR.

It doesn't really matter where the coworker said OP went on their day off. The point is that the boss thinks OP lied about being out sick. If OP has a doctors note, a recent prescription for a short term illness or any other proof they were actually sick- they can easily get this turned around. But without proof, it's OP's word against the coworker's. I was in OP's situation once (except that my dickbag of a coworker claimed they saw me at the movies, not a rally). The only thing that saved my job was the fact that I still had a copay receipt from my doctor's office, dated the same day I was allegedly out goofing off at the theater.

bushidomaster 9

They never said it was a sick day.

That's really illegal, regardless of whether or not you actually went to the Trump rally. You can't be fired for political affiliations, real or perceived. Contact an employment lawyer ASAP.

Unless they took the day off because they were sick or had an emergency, and their boss thinks they lied.

gradyolson 10

Doesn't matter unless they work in an at will state like California you cannot be fired for taking a day off, especially one that was approved, this has wrongful termination lawsuit all over it.

Well, I can see all the wrongful terminations stuff in the comments. But OP could have been fired because the boss thought OP was lying about being sick when OP was really at the trump rally (according to coworker). And was actually sick, either way. Get proof

Yourheadache 19

I smell a lawsuit, definitely wrongful termination, your political views shouldn't matter in your work place.