By isellorangez - 09/10/2015 18:27 - United States - Pittsburgh

Today, I got banned from a suicide prevention forum for "attention seeking." FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 903
You deserved it 3 574

isellorangez tells us more.

Hey, I'm the op and this is my first fml so I hope I'm doing this right. I thought I should say a few things based on some of the comments I read. No, I was not just being an asshat to everyone, I just posted a thread explaining myself and such. Shortly after I posted it I got banned for "attention seeking" and that's all the information I was given. Oh and all the people saying "******* emo" and such, I guess I look like the stereotypical emo, but seriously you could be a bit more mature about things.

Top comments

Go to somewhere else, there are actual people who care for you! I hope you get the help you need!

cooltatgar 31

but... isn't it ... I mean ... never mind seek help somewhere else op, friends and family, counseling hope you get better

Comments

I had something very similar happen to me. I was having a binge eating meltdown so I went online to find a one-on-one emergency chat thing for eating disorders. The first message from the person was "hello! I'll be with you in a minute!" An hour later, and 10 messages from me, I gave up. I ended up eating a family sized bag of popcorn and a bunch of other stuff while I was waiting. Half those things are bullshit and you just have to find the one that cares.

Keep your head up. God has something amazing planned for you. Don't give up.

Or maybe he doesn't. Maybe OP isn't religious. They should still keep trying, though. I hope they can look back distantly on this someday as a low point they barely member because life has gotten so much better.

mds9986 24

If they IP banned you, you can just turn your router off and back on and it will change your IP. Then you can make a new account.

Why would they want to though? It sounds like the people there aren't very nice.

There's a lot of ways to get around an IP block, but circumventing forum bans is shitty and going back to that forum would be even shittier.

I know I will get massively down voted for this,but if you are getting around telling people you want to kill yourself,you don't really want to do it,I've had friends try and overdose directly in front of me and all I've done is taken them to the hospital and called them an idiot,suicide is selfish,leaving all your problems for everyone else to sort out,don't go thinking I'm some priveliged little bitch,I'm far from it,go get professional help,some forum isn't going to help

#68 Some people can't afford professional help, some are minors and need to go through parents, some situations are worse than you could fathom. If you can't be nonjudgemental, then get a trusted adult to take care of the situation for you, because you're obviously not mature enough to handle it.

Or you know sometimes people have lucidity between suicidal thoughts and realize, "**** I need help let me snag an actual adult." And if so many of your friends are trying to overdose in front of you maybe be a little more empathetic?

"If you're telling people about it it means you aren't going to commit suicide" is a common misconception which adds even more stigma to mental illness and drives people into a deeper depression where they're afraid to speak out in fear of getting told they're faking. so think before you say shit like that because you have no idea who is fighting a struggle and is desperate to ask for help but is too afraid.

Thanks for saying that. Sometimes I feel so ashamed for being depressed but i have absolutely no one to speak to because of how vocal people are about being "selfish attention seeking twat" when I actually get the courage to try to help myself.

I used to think like that until a friend of mine did kill herself. stupid and now I blame myself everyday because I didn't get her help. if someone says their going to commit suicide they need help either emotionally or psychologically.

Are you ******* stupid? Pardon me if I sound rude, but I lost my older sister to suicide. And she *tried* to get help. Our parents thought it was a "phase" and told her (I was there in person when she said this) that if she cuts herself, or tried to kill herself they would disown her and take her to a mental instution. The school counsler was no help, as she would only call our parents. And if you actually think telling someone that's dealing with depression or has suicidal thoughts that calling them an "idiot" and that their "selfish" then you aren't a real friend. You're that person who they avoid, for a reason. You may not be a "privileged little bitch" but you are most certainly a Bitch. I hope your friends get better and realize how terrible of a friend you are and move on. You have NO understanding of how someone with depression thinks or feels and the same is with anybody else that has suicidal thoughts

I find this so stupid. Obviously people want suicidal people to get help, but if they do they are taking or attention seeking. What? You are literally encouraging them to keep it secret, because otherwise they get belittled, mocked, and insulted. Which will make it worse.

ChopSuey444 20

I decided to reach out in a forum once. I was called a liar with no real problems, someone literally said "no wonder you have no friends," all because I said it was hard for me to talk to people. And they wonder WHY it's hard for me to talk to people.

Enzymatic 14

Thats irony for you. ..and please note by making a fml about it your seeking attention. just by the way

Literally everything anyone does is for some type of attention. Posting a comment is to get attention. Posting a comment you more than likely knew was going to get a negative response is even more "attention seeking." Wanting attention is not a bad thing, it's something everyone needs. Attention is an important part of being a human, you asshat.

A lot of people feel that attention seeking is a bad thing to do in general, but really it just varies on the situation. It's one thing to seek attention when you're self centered and feel self confidence isn't enough compared to confidence from people your barely know, but it's another to seek attention from people around the world via Internet when you truly need help when the people in your life are not making an effort to care.

I am so sorry that is terrible. Maybe you should try counseling. I hope you get better.

My best whishes go out to you, OP! Hopefully you'll get the help you need and deserve!

Oddy enough suicide prevention forums are actually some of the worst places to go (like parenting forums). The best forums I've seen with suicide prevention were Goth forums (not the kids in tripp pants who listen to Manson, the ones in pretty dresses/suits and oversized/pointy boots who squee over Peter Murphy) and LGBTQA+ forums.

That actually makes sense, and if you think about it... suicide prevention forums are subject to attention-seekers because they want to indulge and, you know, get attention. It's not a good idea to go there regardless because it will likely be populated by people who are experiencing those problems, rather than people who have grown from those problems. LGBTQA+ and Goths are kind of likely to have a population of people who have survived depression and suicide, and know how it feels - but they have the benefit of having worked themselves out of it. They could give advice based on what they learned in the situation and help others get out of it.