By anikah - 01/06/2014 21:53 - United States - Natchitoches

Today, I gave up trying to make any friends at my job as a firefighter. I'm the lone female, and am the subject of gossip with the older men. Anyone I try to befriend ends up hitting on me, while others won't even talk to me because their wives are jealous. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 759
You deserved it 5 616

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Look on the bright side! You must be attractive if coworkers hit on you or ignore you because of their wives.

I feel that pain OP! So many people are like "oh stop complaining that people like you." Well it's ****** difficult when you can't maintain any real friends. Sorry OP :(

Comments

I'm a contractor. Anytime there's a women on the job site most of the guys turn into total Neanderthals and lose their brains. Sorry OP, when you're in male dominated industry, you're going to have challenges with testosterone fueled males. It doesn't make it right, but if you focus on being the best at your job you'll earn their respect in time. And don't be afraid to put them in their place when they get out of line..

Fire hose? Your hot, they're hot blooded males, heated wives, oh you know where im going with this.

Sorry, 21. That comment wasn't directed at you. I made it in reply to some dumb ass who claimed that OP should be happy about her situation. That comment got deleted abs my reply ended up beneath your comment.

How the hell is this an FML? At least they think you're hot!!!

Yeah, who would want to be treated like a human being when they could be treated like a terrifying alien species or sex object?

I'm a female cop, and it's the same thing. However, it did get better. Just show you are good at your job, the respect will come. That and being in the military, taught me how to portray the back off vibe which helped. It sucks because I only am friends with the guys while at work, missing the closeness makes it hard and lonely. But the second you cross the line and hang out with a group outside, it blurs boundaries. It gets better, just be professional and the wives will come around too, once you show you're not that type of person.

I can so relate, OP. It's a similar experience being a female in the Navy. Just wait till the rumors immature **** heads have made up about you get back to you. Half the people in my squadron are convinced I've slept with half a dozen of my co-workers, because apparently laughing at someone's joke is irrefutable proof of a sexual relationship.

doggiewoggie 13

Sorry that they are such dicks OP. And thanks for what you do:)

I don't know about you, but I'd so take advantage that you're that attractive.

That is a terrible idea. Have you no dignity?

Trying to "take advantage" of a situation like that often leads to the crazies lathing on too tight, stalking you, sexually harassing you (more so than if you are more distant) and can even get dangerous. It is never ever an "easy" thing to "take advantage of" The guys always demand sexual favors in return of any kind of favor whatsoever they grant to you (unlike real favors they give to guys out of mutual respect and dignity). I would never want to be in a situation like that of OP

Immature and childish behaviour from your co- workers. Try your best to ignore their ignorance if you can but it seems that everyone is jealous of you at your workplace. Including the men. They feel inferior because a woman entered their little man cave hub and is just as good, if not better than them. Try and stay positive. Eventually the immature men will accept you. It just may take time. Good luck OP

InnocentMalice 12

Ouch. But don't mind them! bet you can find someone nice that won't bother your amazing job!

Their loss! You don't need them. I mean, who needs friends anyway... *bursts into tears*