By Soon2beexhr - 05/02/2018 15:00

Today, my boss tested a candidate for my current position while I was out of the office. How did I find out? I work in HR and the test results were sent to my email. The reason I was out was to have emergency surgery. Now I get to recover and job search at the same time. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 494
You deserved it 218

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

I'm 90(?)% sure, that's illegal

Zachary8261 28

Well. We know there’s an HR Department. Let’s give them some information.

Comments

Zachary8261 28

Well. We know there’s an HR Department. Let’s give them some information.

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

I'm 90(?)% sure, that's illegal

Depends on the state provided she's in the US of A. Indiana doesn't care. only illegal if it's a mental issue,race,gender identity,or something that happened on the job as a accident

Suaria 38

Unless you work for the state government, Indiana does not protect gender identity in anti-discrimination laws.

What does gender identity have to do with this?

You should have “adjusted” ;) the applicant’s score to show your boss how completely unqualified they are.

If he got it others probably did too (department email account). Tampering with it would give them a legitimate reason to fire him.

This is the op, didnt log in my account to post this. Lol fortunately the girl who tested, tested bad. Unfortunately they let me go anyway

Op here, heres a little more info on this. My (now ex) boss knew i would have to be out, just not when. Id been going to the doctor because i found out i was pregnant-1st time ever, very scary experience. And i ended up having a miscarriage. Due to other factors, i had to have surgery asap. This was on a Friday and I still showed up on Monday morning bright and early even though i had lost alot of blood and was in pain/super dizzy. She didnt expect me to show but i knew she was upset about me having to go to the doctor 3 times in the past two weeks. Keep in mind she was aware of the situation the entire time, i even showed her the ultrasound pics. Anyways, i came in Monday with that email waiting in my inbox. Shes hr too but i guess she forgot that i recieve all candidates tests background ext auto sent from the site we use. This was a temp to hire position and i was told id be getting hired on full time by the end of January several times. I kept my eye out for other positions along the way but i wasnt worried because im a good worker and good at what i do. Always early, ext. I got a call that same week on Friday night from the agency saying she didnt want to continue my contract. Texas is an at will state so it would be pretty much my word against hers.

I’m sorry to hear that. You should have mentioned first that you were in Texas. I lived most of my life there. Working people have zero rights there and the bosses can commit any outrage they want with no consequence. Injustice runs rampant there!

Sad but true. Ive seen how it works on the back end. If one person in the upper management doesnt like you, they can and will fire you. They are not obligated to give you a legitimate reason despite it being the right thing to do and all. Fortunately, the twc (texas workforce commission) are pretty good at unemployment in those situations. Generally, those types of employers keep you around long enough to write you up for any little thing so they can battle your unemployment claim but unless you seriously did something wrong, they will have to pay.

Texas is an at will state but that doesn't include pregnancy discrimination. Discriminatory hiring practices are an exception. I understand if you choose not to go that route, but if you document everything now, their comments about employing you in January then that stopping after a pregnancy and miscarriage then you probably have a good case. You can usually get a consultation with a lawyer for free.

Them telling me that they were going to hire me was verbal, not written. Maybe I can use the doctors notes, ext..? Im not sure how that would work since i cant prove she knew anything about it. Any emails regarding me being out were through my work email account and i guareentee you they deleted it. Thats not a bad idea though, thank you, i will definately look into. My dad said the same thing.. ive havent been thinking that straight since this whole thing started

I work in IT there is no such thing as forever deleted. Believe me you can get the email.

I was once passed over for promotion due to my Reserve status in the USMC. DOL got involved and my boss, who was the person who had to approve my Reserve Duty time off, and quite aware of my service, claimed he had no idea I was in the military. Bald faced lied. DOL sided with employer. You don't want your old job working for those rat bastards anyway!

Even in an At-Will State, You have nothing to lose bringing this up to the labor board, especially if they're already firing you. If you have any sort of paper trail asking for the time off, (Emails, voicemails, stickynotes; Always have a paper trail) Giving the info and the timing of everything to the Labor board should help you out, at least for a little while. The timing of you being out THAT DAY and you receiving that email is too spot on. Make sure to forward everything to your personal email account, because you will lose access to your work one!

Op here, heres a little more info on this. My (now ex) boss knew i would have to be out, just not when. Id been going to the doctor because i found out i was pregnant-1st time ever, very scary experience. And i ended up having a miscarriage. Due to other factors, i had to have surgery asap. This was on a Friday and I still showed up on Monday morning bright and early even though i had lost alot of blood and was in pain/super dizzy. She didnt expect me to show but i knew she was upset about me having to go to the doctor 3 times in the past two weeks. Keep in mind she was aware of the situation the entire time, i even showed her the ultrasound pics. Anyways, i came in Monday with that email waiting in my inbox. Shes hr too but i guess she forgot that i recieve all candidates tests background ext auto sent from the site we use. This was a temp to hire position and i was told id be getting hired on full time by the end of January several times. I kept my eye out for other positions along the way but i wasnt worried because im a good worker and good at what i do. Always early, ext. I got a call that same week on Friday night from the agency saying she didnt want to continue my contract. Texas is an at will state so it would be pretty much my word against hers.

Lobby_Bee 17

Have you ever thought maybe your boss is looking for a temp to do your work while you recover? In the worse case you decide to leave permanently, he wouldn't have to scramble to find a replacement.

I wish that was the case but it wasnt..i would have a lot more respect for her at this point but she was looking for a replacement. The testing and time it takes (about 2 hours, she loves wonderlic and criteria) gave me a feeling it wasnt for a temp and i was right unfortunately.

Alisha 3

That's not fair ;-; Just tell that boss or slapp him 😂

I'm in TX and experienced the same thing. My supervisor was pregnant at the same time though. I missed work for appointments and then for the immediate DNC upon discovering the miscarriage. The supervisor was very supportive to my face, but was telling the brand new manager lies about me. She once said she couldn't find me for a meeting. I was at my desk working and lost track of time. I got in trouble for missing the meeting even though I was RIGHT there working and she chose to not remind me/get me when told by the manager to do so (said I wasn't at my desk and didn't know where I'd gone). Anyway, I was let go a week before my temporary position was to go permanent.

That sucks, i am really sorry to hear that, bearsmomma. Its tough enough going through a miscarriage (anyone who hasnt experienced it-its absolute hell. On your body and your mind) and to experience crap with your job on top of it makes it so much worse. Good luck to you.

thatslifeiguess7 16

Id sue or send back already filled

Chris_1163187222 15

Thats a lawsuit.. but since its probably not the full story i wont waste my time with an explanation