By Anonymous - 05/09/2016 13:32 - United States - Jacksonville

Today, I entered a raffle at a local fashion designer event; the prize was $400 credit at the store that was hosting it (which was just enough for one of their dresses). Good news: I won! Bad news: they don't carry a single thing above a women's size 5. I'm 6'2" and 180 lbs. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 758
You deserved it 1 405

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I say turn that raffle into an auction, and get at least some of its value back in cash.

Are they a chain? You might be able to find your size online or at a different location. I mean, assuming there isn't a company-wide policy against anything above a size five.

Comments

At least try to wear their largest item. You may not regret it, even if it turns out to be inappropriate to wear outside!

ACCOUNTKILLER 18

what kind of place does size 5? women's clothes go up in even numbers (4,6,8,12,14 etc)

There are no standard women's sizes. One store's size 4 is probably different from another store's size 4. It's not unbelievable that some would arbitrarily skip the odd numbers too. I have to say, if women collectively demanded that sizes directly correspond to measurements like most men's clothing does, it would save them a lot of hassle.

Not all stores use the even number system. For women's clothing, it depends on the store, either they sell them in even numbers, 2,4,6,8, etc, or odd numbers, 1,3,5,7, etc.

Generally, an odd number means to cut for slimmer figures, a lot of juniors clothing is sized that way and even numbers are meant for more curvy figures, usually found in the ladies department. Though there is no norm and sizes can vary greatly. I have a 34 inch waist and can fit in between 11's up to 22's!, depending on the manufacturer, but usually hover around a 16. Knowing your measurements and carrying a tape measurement (or learning a spot on your arm to gauge by) can be a tremendous help when trying to navigate women's fashion.

Sell it to someone - or better still donate it to a charity.

You realize it's a gift card that can only be used at that store right? Which means it would be useless to a charity.

Actually since its a clothing store that means they can get clothes for people in need. And if they sell accessories like shoes? Even more helpful

vikingchick 22

it was a fashion designer show at that store. So I doubt you could get many clothes for those in need.

To be sure, even those in need would still be happy to have nice clothing.

Do they have accessories you can get a bunch of those for yourself or use the accessories as Christmas gifts for friends and family

Story of my life. I'm 6' tall, 225lbs. I wear a size 16Tall (which is a lot easier to find than the 24Talls I used to wear) and a size 13 shoe! 13! Unbelievable.

Wouldn't you look through the store to see what they had first?

Buy a dress there and have your friend return it the next day for a cash refund.

Usually they return the payment the way it was paid, cash to cash, credit to credit, debit to debit, gift card to gift card. That's if they have s return policy. Lots of "fancy" stores like this only have exchange or store credit policies.

LAURA_EL_JUICE 6

"I'm sorry, we only sell sizes 1, 3, and 5. You could try Sears!"