By pansypup - 03/09/2015 02:30 - United States - Rio Rancho

Today, I discovered that my 100-pound Rottweiler is absolutely terrified of (drumroll please) orange peels. Yup. A byproduct of my lunch will turn this hulking monolith with teeth into a whimpering puddle of pee. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 760
You deserved it 2 213

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Lots of dogs dislike citrus from what I've heard. So maybe he was reacting to the smell?

Comments

As so many have said, it is not the peel he is reacting to, it is the citrus in the peel. You might want to get rid of the dog, since you can't do simple research and find out small facts like that for yourself. I fear for that dogs life if it actually ever really gets sick.

Calm down. How was OP to know? That doesn't make them a bad dog owner.

#12, Not all dogs hate the smell of citrus. None of my dogs hated the smell. Maybe OP had dogs in the past that weren't phased at the smell. That doesn't make OP a bad person

slutfactory 17

I wasn't aware that dogs were sensitive to citrus until now, but that doesn't make me a bad dog owner. It doesn't make OP a bad one either. It's not as if they're shoving the orange peels down their dog's throat. Chill.

If you are such an awesome, researcher, know-all dog owner, #12, why don't you remove that giant stick you're sitting on and throw it for the dog to fetsh?

How about you quit being such a bleeding heart little twat, and shut your hole?? It only takes a little bit of research and about 5 minutes time on google and you can find out simple facts, such a percentage of dogs don't like citrus. If the OP can't do the research on the care of his own dog, he doesn't deserve a dog.

#56, wow, OP must be a horrible pet owner because they didn't realize that. Call Animal control since OP is clearly abusing him.

Okay, so the dog hates the citrus. But that doesn't mean that citrus makes it sick and fatal. And the owner only found this out now, so why be a bitch about it

Most animals dislike sour and bitter tastes. The reason is acids taste sour and bases taste bitter. Both of those are usually poisonous so evolution has made them avoid those tastes.

My dog is afraid of stairs... It's ok that your dog may be afraid of rather strange things; at least he isn't afraid of strangers, right?

msmedieval 11

My dog is afraid of light poles & squeegees! Dogs can be weird sometimes.

Dogs are weird. My dog (a 40 pound German Shepherd mix with emotional issues) will run like hell if you come toward her holding clothing for some reason. But I can scream like a banshee and it doesn't phase her.

Orange you glad he's not afraid of bananas?

UserError94 18

But orange you glad it wasn't bananas :D? ...yea I know :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes knock knock jokes.

AirBusDriver 23

Poor puppy dog, now I just wanna hug him

my boxer was scared of oranges he'd cry, jump, and just freak out

AbortionSurvivor 13

I have a 9 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback cross who absolutely loves oranges. She even has a habit of stealing them (or at least attempting to) out of the fruit bowl