By seizure_girl - 15/08/2013 13:32 - United States - Pierre

Today, I discovered I have epilepsy. 10 years ago, I told my mother about my frequent fits of vertigo, deja vu, nausea, flashes of memory and strange sounds, smells, and images, coupled with an other-worldly feeling. I thought they were holy visions. So did she. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 474
You deserved it 20 789

seizure_girl tells us more.

Hi there. OP here. Temporal lobe epilepsy involves some pretty freakish seizures that are actually interpreted as religious visions by many. They're a very intense spiritual experience. I was fifteen years old, and spent the next three years as a devout Christian, my own logic at war with my profound sense of purpose. Then I turned 18 and discovered marijuana. Lo and behold, the "visions" disappeared, and I was an atheist again. I made the connection between the drug and the cessation of my fits when I stopped taking it and they came back. Epilepsy never occurred to me until recently, the first time I collapsed into a grand mal seizure in public. I picked myself up off the ground in confusion to meet a lot of stares, and a woman nearby informed me I'd had a seizure. The "aura" that I'd gotten just before blacking out and convulsing was the same as the onset of my previous "visions", the first real clue I'd ever gotten. And yes, my mother is an idiot. When I said that I'd had a seizure while she'd been across the fairgrounds, she accused me of being drunk and said she was disappointed in me for ruining our fun evening at the carnival.

Top comments

Yeah, I think the "holy visions" are as the parents who thought their child was possessed when he was actually suffering from seizures.

Comments

tralala453 22

You seriously thought that? I'm gonna have to say YDI...

If one could have holy visions, they would presumably be rather pleasant. Your epileptic fits were obviously not. YDI for not having rational thought.

I don't think you deserve epilepsy.... but holy visions? Seriously?

Is your name by chance Cordelia Chase?

Not your fault, as the adult and parent she should have taken proper action to get you checked out.

CeeCee_fml 16

Damn...That happens to me. Didn't know it could be epilepsy.