By seizure_girl - 15/08/2013 13:32 - United States - Pierre

Today, I discovered I have epilepsy. 10 years ago, I told my mother about my frequent fits of vertigo, deja vu, nausea, flashes of memory and strange sounds, smells, and images, coupled with an other-worldly feeling. I thought they were holy visions. So did she. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 474
You deserved it 20 789

seizure_girl tells us more.

Hi there. OP here. Temporal lobe epilepsy involves some pretty freakish seizures that are actually interpreted as religious visions by many. They're a very intense spiritual experience. I was fifteen years old, and spent the next three years as a devout Christian, my own logic at war with my profound sense of purpose. Then I turned 18 and discovered marijuana. Lo and behold, the "visions" disappeared, and I was an atheist again. I made the connection between the drug and the cessation of my fits when I stopped taking it and they came back. Epilepsy never occurred to me until recently, the first time I collapsed into a grand mal seizure in public. I picked myself up off the ground in confusion to meet a lot of stares, and a woman nearby informed me I'd had a seizure. The "aura" that I'd gotten just before blacking out and convulsing was the same as the onset of my previous "visions", the first real clue I'd ever gotten. And yes, my mother is an idiot. When I said that I'd had a seizure while she'd been across the fairgrounds, she accused me of being drunk and said she was disappointed in me for ruining our fun evening at the carnival.

Top comments

Yeah, I think the "holy visions" are as the parents who thought their child was possessed when he was actually suffering from seizures.

Comments

This is by far my favorite FML.. I'm sure its no laughing matter to you, OP, but its one of the most fascinating things I've ever read. It touches on so many subjects too: from religion to rethinking history.. Just..fascinating. Best of luck to you, OP. I hope the condition gets better, now that you have it rightly diagnosed and can subsequently have it treated correctly.

ShittyBikes 6

Tbh getting a card in CA was about as easy as tripping in the door, at least in Venice Beach, it's basically a preset agreement on $50 or so for a year's recommendation

This FML is actually one of my favourites, not so much because it's funny like the one about the stranger who stole someone's bag, vomited in it, and then gave it back, but rather because it is interesting and thought-provoking. Reading the comments and seeing that this is actually common enough to be very significant is also rather interesting to think about.

The depth of your delusion is awe inspiring.

May God keep you safe. You're in my prayers.

pharm121 21

As a person with epilepsy I sympathize. But wtf?! How were you so ignorant to think that a severe medical condition were "holy visions"

TMramrod 15

Wow this is a lot of info to take in OP. I had my first seizure at 15 as well, but it was more like a 5 second twitch. My mom didn't believe me at first because she never saw it. A year later I broke out in a full episode and was later diagnosed with myoclonic seizure epilepsy. It sucks but at least we finally found out was was "wrong" with me. Funny thing is, the marijuana is actually helping me as well! So weird we have this somewhat in common!

ezrajab 22

Damn thats deep I to have epilepsy sorry op

ahh the beauty of marijuana. cant spell health-care witout THC

Looll. Religious thinking they're seeing magic ... -.-