By seizure_girl - 15/08/2013 13:32 - United States - Pierre

Today, I discovered I have epilepsy. 10 years ago, I told my mother about my frequent fits of vertigo, deja vu, nausea, flashes of memory and strange sounds, smells, and images, coupled with an other-worldly feeling. I thought they were holy visions. So did she. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 474
You deserved it 20 789

seizure_girl tells us more.

Hi there. OP here. Temporal lobe epilepsy involves some pretty freakish seizures that are actually interpreted as religious visions by many. They're a very intense spiritual experience. I was fifteen years old, and spent the next three years as a devout Christian, my own logic at war with my profound sense of purpose. Then I turned 18 and discovered marijuana. Lo and behold, the "visions" disappeared, and I was an atheist again. I made the connection between the drug and the cessation of my fits when I stopped taking it and they came back. Epilepsy never occurred to me until recently, the first time I collapsed into a grand mal seizure in public. I picked myself up off the ground in confusion to meet a lot of stares, and a woman nearby informed me I'd had a seizure. The "aura" that I'd gotten just before blacking out and convulsing was the same as the onset of my previous "visions", the first real clue I'd ever gotten. And yes, my mother is an idiot. When I said that I'd had a seizure while she'd been across the fairgrounds, she accused me of being drunk and said she was disappointed in me for ruining our fun evening at the carnival.

Top comments

Yeah, I think the "holy visions" are as the parents who thought their child was possessed when he was actually suffering from seizures.

Comments

i get those somtimes too. it feels like the same thing u feel in a previous dream sometimes. email me! [email protected]

You and Joan of Arc both, OP! Also Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Peter the Great...you might not be divinely chosen, but you're still in good company! Seriously, I hope you get the treatment you need. Also maybe re-evaluate your mother's role in your life since she doesn't sound too stable.

holy visions? YDI. If you think you actually see them or speak in "tongues" you need help. sure if someone believes in "god" okay. but if you start with the other bullshit its going too far.

RedPillSucks 31

Nobody deserves an epilepsy diagnosis.

never did I say she deserved to have epilepsy. but if someone has "holy visions" that are very similar to having a seizure and they dont do anything about it, its their fault for not getting it checked out. they could have had one while driving and killed someone. and sometimes saying YDI doesn't mean i think they deserve it (like in this situation she doesn't deserve it), it just means that i think they should have been smarter.

Idiot. You should have gotten help long ago, who knows what permanant damage you've needlessly inflicted upon yourself. Smh.

******* moron OP, religious vision? You have done irreparable damage to your brain, how poorly educated were you as a child... You and your mother are part of the reason I hate the overtly religious!

Obey_StudBoii 23

You shouldn't be an asshole. How was OP supposed to know that they were seizures to begin with when these "holy visions" started happening???

59, they are supposed to have a RESPONSIBLE adult taking care of them who can recognise the signs of a serious medical condition!!

Obey_StudBoii 23

#68 I'm not an idiot. I know otherwise because I suffer from seizures.

I've had epilepsy since I was 7. My mom is really religious, but neither of us would ever think that they were "holy visions." Didn't either of you stop to think that a medical cause was more likely?

Common sense and religion don't usually go hand in hand...