By adirom - 21/10/2014 02:25 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I came out as bisexual to my friends via group message. They didn't respond; I had a panic attack. An hour later, one of my friends texted back, "k". FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 636
You deserved it 9 552

adirom tells us more.

Thanks for all your support (or lack there of in some cases) for those of you wondering why I told them over text, my friends and I are very close and have a group message with just the 4 of us, the topic came up and I took the opportunity. I have social anxiety, and decided for the sake of my sanity that would work best. And after my one friend replied "k" there were multiple texts saying they supported me and didn't think of me any differently (which was my worry). So it all turned out for the best! To all of y'all who think being bisexual isn't a big deal, coming out regardless is a big deal. So please try and open your mind to how difficult it is to stray from social norms!

Top comments

Their silence probably means they're "k" with it. Just as long as you're happy with whom you are.

Gay is the new norm. It's not even cool to come out as gay anymore. The real edgy people are coming out as ebola victims.

Comments

Well what did you want them to say? Most of my queer friends were terrified to come out even though all of us could already tell and none of us cared in the slightest, nor did we make a huge fuss because it's just sexuality. If I'm your friend I don't care who you get romantically involved with as long as they treat you well and I'm sure your friends feel the same.

inspiringdeath 13

I came out on Facebook about 4 months ago. It's was absolutely terrifying. Just know that you are you and that's truer than true. There's not a person alive that's you-er than you. ❤️

I don't get why you would do something like this in a group message, face to face conversation would solve this problem, see how your friends actually react, not just what they type in response, or the lack of response you got.

Sounds like you could use some more accepting friends

RockinRandy 12

Probably because texting that may have seem inappropriate at that time..maybe it should've been in person

I just did that last night, sorry they weren't a little more reactive OP, but it doesn't look like they are upset with you :)

I gotta say, those are some true friends. A friend will support you, but a true friend will already know or not give a crap because it doesn't matter to them either way. There is a saying where a good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be there next to you in the jail. Same idea here.

Why did you have to came out to be bisexual? Isn't that just (more or less) normal?!?

It's completely normal, but people will always assume that you're straight unless you tell them otherwise which can be quite annoying after a while if you aren't actually straight

It's a pretty shitty way to tell them even if it's because of a lack of courage. I personaly wouldn't know how to respond if I was one of you friend. At least they don't see you through your sexuality so they don't care about it. :)