By juanjohnfml - 11/08/2011 08:17 - United States

Today, I bought a $300 gym membership that gives me access to the company's non-premium gyms. The non-premium gyms are all closed due to construction, because they're being turned into premium gyms. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 926
You deserved it 7 755

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why is everyone saying it's ironic? It's not. What would have been ironic was if he used to have premium, and DOWNGRADED to non-premium.

Comments

Why is everyone saying it's ironic? It's not. What would have been ironic was if he used to have premium, and DOWNGRADED to non-premium.

It's sad that it took 11 posts for someone to understand the meaning of irony.

isminei 6

11- The OP paid to use non-premium gyms, which are being turned into premium gyms. So the OP would have to spend even MORE money to use the gym. It would work either way, downgrading or upgrading gyms. Irony is defined as 'unexpected events.' Like an animal rights activist getting trampled by a cow or someone paying to use a gym and then can't because of construction. So, this FML is, indeed, ironic. :)

He wouldn't have to spend even more money, he would just have to upgrade to premium. If he, however, had to pay even more than if he had gotten premium to begin with, then that would be ironic.

86 - And is going to the bakery for jelly doughnuts and discovering they're out of them "irony" too? No. You're retarded and you have no clue what irony is.

It's almost ironic that people are actually arguing what is and what is not ironic. Irony is not exceptionally difficult to understand. OPs situation is a simple misfortune, an honest company would repair OPs situation with little controversy.. But why would someone spend $300 on a gym membership anyway?

If the bakery is usually never out of jelly doughnuts...yes it is ironic.

sparxva 12

I think you have confused the concept of 'irony' with the concept of 'stupidity' in this case. The outcome should not have been unexpected by the salesperson. Possibly 'misrepresented' but not 'unexpected.'

shadexilmaendu 4

Irony involves a reversal of expectations. The reversal is key

Make a scene there. They'd give u a refund or something :)

muchagente 5

as soon as all gyms are turned into premium, they're not premium anymore, because premium implies its above normal level. so, soon, you'll have an all-area-access! for cheapo! you're lucky.

I like your logic! When everyone's super.. -dramatic pause- ..no one will be. ..I keep making "Incredibles" references. FML

muchagente 5

if i were a boring lawyer, i'd point out the difference between "super" and "premium" at this moment... it's only it seems like that would kill the fun in it

wordnerd: At least try to get it right… s/will be/is/

94 - You made me resort to re-watching that part because your remark weighed on my conscience. My only flaw was that there was a chuckle during the dramatic pause. The words and tenses were verbatim from the script. Good day, and my negative thumb to you. 80 - ehh. Sidenote regarding everyone, not just the above two: The forum has gotten more and more ignorantly pedantic in the week since I last visited. Smh, kthxbai.

jessesgirl14 16

Ask them to upgrade you at no charge since they didn't inform you of the upcoming change...

This. I know it probably wasn't just one day, but I can't believe they just let you buy a useless $300 membership.

mintcar 9

Wow, 300 dollars is a lot of money for a gum membership, no?

txgirl09 5

You know I was thinking the same thing, but then I wonder if they provide higher grade services like a personal trainer and an awesome spa area with free massages that places like 24 hr fitness don't have.

mintcar 9

Gym* 22, oh okay. Yeah makes sense.

I got a 1 month member ship for 50$ at my local gym

If it's $300 for a year then it's cheap, if its a month then yes its expensive, but OP dosent specify the length of membership.

ximeldax 0

i agree, $300 for GUM would be alot....

ximeldax 0

yes, $300 for GUM is ridiculous.

SimoneDymond 3

GO TO FITNESS 4 LESS 19.95 a month!

party_freak 9

Cheaper isn't always better but neither is dearer

party_freak 9

That seems like a lot of money for a gym membership. Sucks that you spent all that and now can't even use the facilities